Good & bad thread karma

So I've been quilting away on George and giving thanks that I have such an industrial machine...a domestic machine would have given up days ago. I'm working on a quilt that has lots of fusible in it... several different types of fusible in fact (Wonder Under, Steam a Seam 2 Lite, ShirTailor) so it is thick & stiff.

I have been changing threads often (not only different colors but different weights & types) and I am having a sporadic but recurring problem. I carefully adjust the tension for each thread change and I'm sewing even slower than normal (normal is pretty slow anyway) but I'm getting a few loopy stitches on top. It's happened with some threads more than others (the 30 weight cotton was impossible!) but even with So Fine in top & bobbin, I'm getting the occasional loop. When it happens, it seems like the thread is advancing too far above the tension discs and slapping around...you know what I mean. The bottom tension looks fine. Of course I've cleaned with WD40, oiled wicks & bobbin case, used Sewer's Aid on the threads, changed the needle, checked the thread path, even tried a few different thread paths. I just can't seem to diagnose the cause. Any thoughts from all you brilliant quilters?

On the positive side, seems that I've been running out of bobbin thread AT THE END of my stitching lines...it's been really great quilting karma in that respect. So any ideas on solving my loopy issue? Thanks, Nancy in Tucson

Nancy,

Be sure that the three hole guide above the tension disks stays aimed from "8:00 to 2:00" to help keep those thicker threads between the disks. In fact, you can tweak it a little closer to 8:30 or so.

The looping you are experiencing happens when the fusible web sticks to the needle just enough to cause the fabric to "pop" up and down when the scarf of the needle enters and exits the layers. In that brief instant, it's like piecing without the presser foot on your sewing machine engaged. The foot can't hold the fabric stable enough to form the stitch properly.

It may help to lower the foot just a smidge more. Plus, try wiping the needle frequently with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue build-up from the fusible adhesive.

Good luck!

Thanks, Dawn. As ever, you have given me a great explanation for WHY this might be happening. I have been wiping the needle and changing needles. The three hole guide above the tension disks might just be the culprit, however. It seems to be loose...it doesn't get tight until the 9:00 to 3:00 position so when I try to set it at 8 to 2, it just relaxes until vertical. Do I need a new thread guide or is there another fix to get the guide to stay at the proper o'clock?

Thanks again, Nancy in Tucson

OMG!! I am having the SAME, VERY same issues!!! No fusible though!! Just the occasional loop on top. Old fabrics and not all are 100% cotton. I have been tweaking all day! hahahaha I have to try the thread guide fix. I always have the nets on.

Also, I read the hopping foot should be at .030, but when I had it there; my tension was AWFUL!!! I lowered it to .025 and it's MUCH better. I know some people say a business card, but there are so many different sizes of cards that I went with the feeler gauges. My DH gave me a set for myself!!

DAWN TO THE RESCUE! AGAIN!!!!:P:P:P Thanks a bunch!! And I love you too!!

Blair,

Thread nets are usually available wherever serger and embroidery threads are sold. If you are using thread that won't behave as it exits the spool, you can also try this trick of adding a piece of batting to the first thread guide above the thread cone. It's purpose is to keep the thread path smooth and "bounce free" all the way to the needle. (My little ball of batting lives there permanently:)).

post--13461904612897_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dawn,

Just got my APQS machine delivered Wednesday. Started quilting today. Used So Fine and got and occasional loop on back and when i adjusted my tension, i then got the funky extra thread on top..........this is the very same problem I had with my Gammil for 7 years and the reason i decided to sell my Gammil and buy an APQS, i'm not sure what to do now. Help me please

feeling cursed

No cursing allowed:) :)

The loop on top is typically caused by the top thread peeling off the cone at breakneck speeds, or by a slightly low 3-hole guide as indicated earlier. The thread must stay between the disks and if the guide has dropped slightly it allows the thread to sneak a little farther out of the disks for a nanosecond. That slight slip relaxes the tension just enough (combined with thread twist) to leave an occasional loop. Have you added a small piece of cotton batting to the veey first thread guide above the cone? That little extra pressure on the thread keeps the thread path smooth from spool to needle.

We will figure it out! Give me a call or send an email!:)

• 3 months later...

Is there a tension gene?

I too have been plaged with a loop or two on the top. I've tried cotton in the first guide, added an extra 2 thread guides (one to many and I don't use one), loosened the bobbin thread and the top to compensate for the thread breakage. The stitches come out beautiful for 2 min of sewing and then loops. Tried the spool net but only got more thread breakages. I'm using Wonderfil cotton 40wt on top and tutti 50 in the bobbin.

I can pull them into the quilt with a needle and looped thread so you will never see it, but do not think I should have to do that.

Gene where are you??

Archived