Do you think there are enough customers...

Most of the pictures I have seen are of heavily quilted complicated patterns. I love them and aspire to be that good. My question is do you think there are enough people who just want their tops quilted with a nice even all over pattern or simple patterns well placed?

I don't want to go into this in debt for the machine and then not be able to support my habit. I have saved about half of what I want to spend and I am not good at waiting but the joy will go out if I feel slave to the payment.

Thanks in advance.

Stacey

It depends on where you live as far as customers. You could contact LQS and ask if they have someone longarming for them. In my area sadly there are not enough. DO NOT believe someoone who tells you you can pay for your machine in two years. It is just not possible in todays economic climate. I stay slowly steadily busy. I wish I had way more customers but!!! I would still get a machine even if it is just for me because I love quilting.

Nora

Acesgame, it is like what Nora said ..depends were you live ..I just quilt from side to side . I live in the country and these women are not taking their quilts to shows , but they want their qulits to be done neat and clean . Stiches must be right ..no loops etc. I stay busy year round .. the money I make is needed in our home to help out .. once you get started you could make at least four hundred a month or more . Pat

PS. this is a business for me ..so that means you have to work at it to make it work .. good luck

Nora gives very good advice.

Test the waters with questions to any Quilt Shops near you, everyone you know who quilts, etc... then decide... Mine would make the payments the last few monthys, but, it wouldn't come near making the purchases of thread, batting, pattern boards, the Quiltazoid, etc.. and I wouldn't give any of them up.

One of we 3 long arm quilters just moved away, so that leaves one gal with a small shop, (hard to find her).. and me.. I've been at it for close to 3 years, I think.. We just don't have those in this town who want, or can afford machine quilting..

You could just tell them, when they enquire, that you only do simple quilting, not wonder fills with wonder patterns or custom quilting.

I seldom use the meander any more.. but could if wanted.. I usually add leaves, hearts stars in here and there, now. Use it a lot in borders or sashing with loops, too.

Good Luck.. keep thinking and saving.. then make the decision...

I don't have the Hartley Fence.. seems there are a lot of them for sale.. I love my QZ and patterns from QZ, RnS and Topper, which is Linda & Dennis.

Yes, there are many people like that. And like the others said, it depends where you are in the country. One thing I did was join a large guild in a larger city. I go there every week. It's an hour's drive to get there but the people in that area are used to paying more for quilting and I get a lot of work. And, I enjoy my time with them too.

Jess

Attracting customers is always the first hurdle after buying a machine. Look under "starting your business" here and spend an afternoon reading. Please don't let the posts scare you--every new quilter asks the same questions and have managed to build a business. Then they stop posting about attracting business and start posting pictures of their finished customer quilts!:)

If you are wanting to only do freehand E2E or pantos, let that be your starting spot. You will always have customers for overalls.

But don't limit yourself--you will be proficient if you quilt for a year and may be the new Custom Queen someday!

As for only seeing show quilt photos posted here--go back in the "photos" archive to view lots of different designs--lots of E2E and pantos. The customs are eye candy and the quilting shows well. E2E are beautiful, but don't show up well in photos unless there is a pic of a plain backer! We also post photos of our best work--unless there is a problem with our quilting--then we post those ugly photos as well! So don't be afraid to show something that you quilt--you will find amazing encouragement here.

You will find so much advice in the archives. Get a cuppa something and a notebook to write down info you can refer back to.

Good luck Stacey!

Nora is right, it depends on your area. You may have other longarm quilters in your area, so check with LQS. I live in a rural area and in my area most people cannot afford custom work. So I do mainly E2E or Pantos and I cannot charge as much as you can in or near larger cities. Because of what I charge I don't do complicate or really dense designs/pantos....less time the better. The one thing I have notice the past couple of years is that less people in my area are going on vacations and are staying home due to the economy. This I believe is the reason I have seen an increase of quilting business year round without any slow down periods.

Someone told me that pantos and E2E are your bread and butter and the custom quilts are your reputation...so you need to have both. But in my case, I looked for a nitch and tried to be the best I can be in that nitch and you will attract those customers! If you are really good at pantos, be the best panto quilter in your area, if you are better at custom, strive to be the best there...

Another thing to do is ask at your local extension service or anyone who deals with small business education. They may not understand our business specifically, but they can help you with the numbers so you make an informed decision. Some departments to look for are SBA programs, SCORE, business incubator, and rural development. My business incubator program has been some of the best time I have invested in my business.

The Sr. Center might be another good place.. take some of your work along to show.. check and see if you can give a little talk so everyone who thinks they might be interested will find out for sure what yoou do.. I think Leslie is referring to the ECA extension... another good one.. We hold our guild meeting and sew days there, and in the past, had all the shows there... Lots of interest in long arming that you do at the shows.. ask if you can make up a brochure for each goody bag they give out, and don't give home address, but do give email and if you want a cell phone. I'd not include the cell phone if it's the only one you have. Have initial contacts use your Post Office Box rather than street address...

Tremendous good luck.

Archived