AccuCut Studio- input needed

I bought mine long before the accucut GO came out and I absolutely LOVE it. I have tons of dies now and they cut several layers of fabric at once. They are extremely precise. They are also somewhat expensive. You can get the dies for the GO at wholesale cost from places like Checkers Distribution but you can't get the ones for the studio. I still love it!

I just got my studio cutter a couple months ago and I love it. I wasn't 100% convinced it was going to be one of my best buying decisions but everytime I use it I'm convinced more and more that it was the right decision. I was most worried about fabric waste but the fact is that I don't waste much of anything. I decided to go wth the studio over the GO mostly because of the number of layers you can cut with the studio vs the Go.

there are some things i regret buying (remember the dot.com fiasco? hmmmm), but the Accuquilt Studio cutter had me sold the first time I used it. Cut 22 1/2-yard cuts of fabric using the 1 1/2" strip cutter in 30 minutes for a log cabin quilt. I would have been standing and cutting those strips for 1/2 a day without the cutter. And there wasn't a wonky middle in nary a strip!! I now use it every chance i get. I find myself looking at cutting directions for a quilt, and trying to figure out where I can use my Studio. It is a great item. The Go was just not sturdy enough for my intentions.

I just got it 3 weeks ago. I bought the Studio Bread and Butter Starter when it was on sale. Then my daughter bought me the 2" strip and the 10" block set for my birthday (with a 25% off Facebook code).

It was love at first sight. I have lots of "What was I thinking" fabric, but I have been cutting it into squares and half square triangles and doing sampler blocks. Piecing triangles has never been so easy! And I can cut 60 at a pass! It cuts strips perfectly every time.

It is much more expensive than the GO, but in my opinion, worth it. I was originally going to get the GO but my husband reminded me about my adventures with quilting frames. I wasn't happy until I had the best.

Oh my! Is this just another 'have to have'? And with Christmas just around the corner? Can anyone provide input on how they can make some money with it? Do you cut fabric and sell 'kits' for customers? Is that easy to do?

Any more information would be appreciated. For example, what dies do you recommend? Or what starter sets? I'm going to the Creative Festival on Sunday and I'm sure I will see these there and would like to know more before I'm pulled in....

Caroline,

I think you could make money with it if you are selling kits. My goal is to sell a binding cutting service, basically takes me seconds to do and easy to add on for a small fee. I also plan to have a service where a customer can pick out a quilt pattern in either baby, twin, queen or king bring me the fabric and have it cut. The fee would vary based on the size of the quilt. I would then provide a copy of the pattern as well. My thinking is this would be a great service for the working woman/men who want to piece but just can't find the time to cut it out. I enjoy picking out my own fabric so it would be the service I would have wanted. Truthfully with the way things are so crazy around here I just haven't had time to really get these things together and probably won't until next summer but it is an option.

I purchased the 12" & 10" block sets, 1 1/2", 2 1/4" & 2 1/2" strip cutters, one applique vein, flower and leaf design and Robbing Peter to pay Paul just because I liked it :D! I have used the 12" block sets many times already. I would like them to come out with a 9" block set and I am really surprised they don't have one! My plan is to add on more as I need or want. I figure it is easy to give birthday and Christmas ideas this way! I'm very pleased with all my purchases this far!

i actually bought some of the dies when they were on a terrific sale ... before i had bought the cutter itself! then i waited until the cutter actually went on sale before purchasing. they have only a few great sales and it is worth it to just hang out and wait. get on their mailing list and they will send you e-mails when the sales occur. like all other businesses, there is ALWAYS a sale, but every so often they have a TERRIFIC sale. Some of the basic dies were on sale for 30% off ... and wait for FREE SHIPPING before ordering the cutter. that baby is one heavy piece of equipment. just some suggestions.

lol Heidi!

My MIL can be difficult, but not nearly in the same vein as I understand from your stories of your MIL, so I haven't that excuse. You certainly deserve your treats to yourself!

However, my DH wouldn't be adverse to it if he thought it made me money. I hope I get to see both the GO and the Studio at the show on Sunday. It seems like there are more dies for the GO, but the Studio can cut more at the same time. I appreciate the ideas for business. I really like the concept of the curved pieces because they are hard to cut with rotary cutters. I thought kits of drunkard's path or Double Wedding ring might be popular, but it sounds like the 12' block set would also be a good choice.

Caroline, I bought my Go Cutter from www.stitchintheditch.com in BC. It came with 9 dies, one of them the 12" block. you can cut 6 layers of fabric easily with the Go. I just bought the 7" and 14" drunkards path dies as I make lots of crazy curves Quilts and this makes cutting easy. I also have the 5" and 6.5" squares, great for making kits out of left over fabrics which my local ladies buy from me when they come for their stash buster classes. Check them out, you are sure to find a great deal at the festival.

I have the Studio/GrandeMark machine and studio dies too. I bought mine at a really good sale too. I believe you can only buy the Studio directly from AccuQuilt, and the Go! is available though dealers everywhere. As far as dies go for the Studio machine...check out www.accucut and www.accucraft too...all those dies work with the studio model, so you can use this machine for alot of other stuff too. I really like my system and have found no issues as of yet. I think you can buy the Go! system wholesale if you have a business licence.

I have then studio model too and enjoy using it. The pieces are accurate making them easy to put together. I belong to a small quilt group that has many beginning quilters in it. I cut fabric in the Take Five design for them. It didn't take me very long and the group loved that all the pieces were exact. It made it very easy for them to piece the quilt. For myself, I like the 1.5 and2.5 inch strip templates. With the exception of my little quilt group I only quilt/cut/piece for myself but I have never been sorry that I bought the studio model.

Pamela

I got excited about the studio model and thought I could buy one and sell kits to my guild members and a few others. But, last year my guild bought the studio model and continues to purchase new dies from the profits of the "donations" people give in exchange for getting their fabric cut for them. Humm...there went "my" audience. Oh, well, so now I just make my donation to the guild and get someone to cut my fabric for me.

Guest Linda S

I think if I were to buy any of them, I'd go with the Studio model. I've considered it for selling kits for some time now, but I've got so much going on with trying to work full-time and quilt for others, that I just can't really consider it. Plus, I'd put an IQ above it on my priority list. If your friends think they would use it, I say go for it. It's a great tool.

Well, I went to the show, but all they had on display was the GO cutter. It was interesting enough, but I really hoped to see the Studio cutter in action, but there was no display.

I went to the AccuQuiilt website, and they currently have the Studio on sale for $100 off and the strip dies for $25% off, so I bought one! My die choices are 2 1/2" strip; 1 1/2" strip; chisel (on sale for $16!); and the 3 1/2" half square triangle. I would have loved to buy more, but I think I will wait until further sales. For now, my plan is to make jelly rolls and some log cabin kits.

Now, I don't know about other Canadian shoppers, but delivery to Canada (to Ontario) would have been $131.00! Plus, UPS brokerage would have been about $50 (my guess). Shipping to U.S. is free!!!! I asked if there would be a discount for Canadians equivalennt to the U.S. deal, but there isn't.

I'm cheap. Since I live 1 1/2 hours from the Niagara Falls border, I decided to opt for service to deliver to a UPS store in Niagara Falls NY and go pick it up myself. I've never done this before, but I'm saving almost $200 so I think it is worth it!

I can't wait until I get it! Thanks to everyone who helped me with making this decision.

Congratulations Caroline on your Studio purchase! I just bought a 2 drawer file from Office Depot that fits my Studio perfectly with'out taking up a bunch of space. The 2 file drawers are deep and can hold a lot of dies, even the strip cutter! It was $129 plus tax. It was easy to put together also. I couldn't justify the money for the one Accuquilt sells. (I can get more dies with my savings:):):). :)

Archived