T-shirt quilts

Anette D.

I usually stay in the background and read everyone's comments, but I have an important question today. I have several T-Shirt quilts to complete before Christmas. They are not pieced in rows and columns; rather, they are randomly pieced with cotton fabric fillers where needed. Each has at least one border. They range in size from a twin size to a large queen. NOW, MY QUESTION: If you quilt T-Shirt quilts, what quilting pattern(s) do you use? Do you treat each shirt differently or do you do an overall? Thank you for reading this and replying.

Anette

I have quilted about 25 t-shirt quilt and they turn out so great. I never custom quilt one as they are so busy. i always use a panto and I generally select a panto that goes with the quilt. For instance I did one with church Ts and I quilted it out with angel wings panto. I use a 3.5 needle and stitch over everything. You will be very proud of how well they turn out.

I just use an all over meander and invisible thread. I stitch over everything and the invisible thread melts into the t-shirt fabric and doesn't disort the picture on the shirt. I recently bought a cone of Monolon invisible thread and love it. I have quilted 3 t-shirt quilts without a single thread breakage. With other invisibles, I did have some problems.

I sometimes use the invisible, but sometimes pick a much contrast color just because if a lot of the shirts are white/light, I like more color. (personal preference) and it depends on the borders as I most usually sash and border them. I usally do an allover pattern, but sometimes I SID around each block and then meander inside, looks kind of cool from the back this way. You just can't hardly do anything wrong whatever pattern you choose to do. The CL Swirls is very popular and I think the CL Square Dance is going to become a favorite as well.

:D

Hello, I'm happy to have heard from the three of you. I was thinking an overall would be most appropriate. I think I'm going to go with the meander, just because I get it done quickly. I do appreciate your input. Thanks for caring enough to respond.

Happy Quilting,

Anette

I have used the CL Swirls and the CL Square Dance Star on ones in the past. They turn out really nice. Even the sweatshirt quilts make up nicely and lay flat with the Swirls especially. Mine are usually all made from the sweatshirt or t-shirt fabrics with no sashing. The borders are usually done in piano key stripes to off-set the actual quilt. Never heard a complaint about them. Usually i use about 12 shirts, depending on the sizes and designs. One t-shirt quilt was made for my trucker brother and he wanted the USA quilted on it. That was a bit of a challenge, and the East ended up with an extra state. ( Hope they don't mind!)

I always use a 4.0 needle and quilt from the front. That way I can outline some of the words on the shirts. I used a 3.5 once and the needle broke and put a hole in the quilt. I always meander t-shirt quilts. I also like getting a list of words or names and "write" those in the quilt as well. Customers really like that part.

Gosh, I'm the odd man out here - I do a different background for each shirt, and don't quilt over the t-shirt motifs if they are that plastic-y stuff. I usually switch threads to match each shirt (though, I do charge for the extra colors after 2). I have to make a sketch of the quilt top and plot out my backgrounds ahead of time - trying not to over use any one, or put the same ones too close together. The customers really like that the background usually relates to the shirt's activity or design, and they really love the over all look when it's done.

With thread changes and all the extra work, it ends up being priced at my low to mid custom rate usually. So far they keep bringing me their next kid's quilt and referring me to their friends so I keep doing them. I find my "graduation" rush is busier than my Christmas rush!

Archived