Essential Pro Thread

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for LA thread and was wondering if anyone has tried the new Essential Pro Cones at Connecting Threads?

Also does anyone have any thoughts on Permacore? I love the size of their spools compared to SO Fine. I would love to put all of the So Fine Colors on my Santa List, but it is so expensive. I guess I am looking for another great alternative.

Thanks,

Janet

Sorry, we have not tried the thread. Permacore is good - it has more lint as well as more thick than So Fine. It depends on the look the quilt calls for. The new Fil Tec is great as well.

We use several different kinds and brands of threads - buy a spool or two and just see what you prefer.

I haven't used their "Pro Cone" thread but I have used their regular thread and it is very linty - in fact it was so linty it was building up on my needle bar! I won't use this thread on my long arm again but it works great in my DM. I don't know if they are the same thread or not, I would call and ask them.

Hi Janet,

I've used the new Essential Thread Pro. You can see it on this quilt I recently finished. It is nice thread and has a matte finish. Not shiny like So-Fine. My only reservation with buying more, and using it--It's very fine thread. 70/3 ply. Therefore the colors are very subtle. I used "Lilac" on this quilt, and because the thread is so fine the color does not show up at all. That can be a good thing---depending on your purposes.

It would be a great thread for whole cloth quilting, or quilting where you backtrack a lot such as on feather spines. For the price, I found it to be a strong --fine gauge thread with good definition as you can see. I used it on the top, and in the bobbin and did not have any thread breaks or fraying. However, my machine runs all threads quite well. I used a size 4.0 needle.

For the price, I would buy a few cones and give it test run---that's what I did to squelch my curiosity.

I like Permacore thread too--but you need to realize it is a much thicker thread. I still luv all my Superior threads, but I could be tempted for certain quilts to use this new Essential Pro. :)

post--1346190498621_thumb.jpg

So Fine is great. Haven't tried the Essential. Love the

Bobbin Central Premo-Soft thread with matching pre-wound bobbins. Also love the Bobbin Central glide with matching pre-wound bobbins (it has a great shine, looks like rayon but color safe).

• 1 month later...

Archived