Question about LongArm size

Not trying to get anybody going here, but I know I read it someplace...... (just a case of "CRS") in a magazine - but which one, there are so many.

The Throat size of 20" or more is considered a LongArm and the machines with 18" or less are MidArm or ShortArm machines, correct?

So many ads can be misleading and difficult to really understand. I am not looking for a new machine, Love my Mel!

Don't get me wrong, I have done MANY quilts on a HQ16 too when I worked at a shop - we kept both machines busy especially during this time of year. It was great fun - really!! :cool: I do wish that she wouldn't have had to close......

I agree with Sandy. From all the books and articles I've read about long arming, 18" and above is a long arm. I think the important thing is to get one that suits your body- if you've got short arms, an 18" is perfect, but if you're taller and have longer arms ( on your body that is!) you will be able to have a 'longer arm' machine because you are able to stretch your arms further out to operate the machine with ease.

However, I upgraded from an 18" to a Millie 26" even though I am short in stature so that in the future I can add the Intelliquilter, for which it's better to have a wider work area. HOpe these observations help in your choice! If you can, go and actually try out several machines and see which suits you best.

Shelley

I think the distinctions are made so you can find what works best for you and your body.

When you order pattern boards and pantos, they are usually separated into these categories to make shopping easier. That way you find what fits your stitching field and no surprises when you get the product.

I think the categories for machine quilting in shows are --sit down quilting (which includes the George and other stretched commercial machines) and stand up (or frame) quilting.

We have so many fabulous options!

However, I upgraded from an 18" to a Millie 26" even though I am short in stature so that in the future I can add the Intelliquilter, for which it's better to have a wider work area. HOpe these observations help in your choice! If you can, go and actually try out several machines and see which suits you best.

Shelley

Shelley, I thought you were going to say "in the future when I grow I won't need a bigger machine!":P

I'm 5FT tall and have no problems using the Millie. The others are correct, what are you comfortable with? 18in (throat space) and above is considered Longarm. Remember the short the throat space the less room you have to quilt before having to roll the quilt. The most important thing is try out different machines, get what you're comfortable with and can afford.

When I was selecting a machine I wanted to be able to quilt a 12" block without having to roll the machine. That was sooooo important to me. In order to be able to do that I had to have a 20" throat. Another concern of mine was panto sizes. I wanted to be able to buy any panto and use it. I found out really quickly that I needed that throat space to be able to purchase pantos without hesitation. This is just my experience.

Guest Linda S

I'm usually a size matters gal, but when calling a machine a longarm, does it really matter? The main point is, you're moving the machine instead of the quilt. I have a Liberty. It has a 20" throat, but you only end up with about 11.5" of quilting space. Since my forearms aren't much longer than that, and I do mostly custom quilting, I'm quite happy with it the way it is. The Millie was just too big and weighty for me. I'm much more comfortable with my machine. Plus, with the fabric advance, I can roll a bit when I get to the bottom of a block and can't quite get the last bits.

• 1 month later...

I'm with Linda. I love my Liberty and the size works for me. Who is it that said..."It's not the size of the boat; it's the motion of the ocean?" Sorry, that one just slipped out. :P I have to work close to my eyes or I can't focus right. With the larger machines, even though I can reach them, I have trouble seeing the last 15 - 20 inches clearly and even though I can reach to quilt that area, I find I don't have the same control when I reach out to the far edges of the quilting space.

It's all what you are confortable with using.

Archived