I got a cute new BABY! ~~~ Her name is Elsie Mae

Haaa! OK thanks girls for all the fun feedback and advice. I did some research on line and found the "supplies" I needed (e.g. lubricant for gears), so after work last night I stopped by JoAnn and got a few supplies (lubricant, oil, extra bobbins and needles). When I got home I proceeded to give Elsie Mae a good scrubbing behind the ears and in between the toes. First, I used canned air to get all the lint and loose stuff out. Then set her on an old towel and sprayed WD40 in all the mechanical parts on top, in the bobbin hook area, and underneath bottom, etc to loosen up any rust and gunk (there was just a tiny bit of rust inside the gears) and I used few Qtips to get in there to remove any leftover rust and it came right out. So, after that, I squirted a wee bit of the lubricant right in the teeth of the gears inside and on bottom, and then I lathered her in machine oil in all the moving parts on top and underneath, and in the ports that the little maintenance manual indicated in the arrows. So I turned her on and she was purring just fine but I think she needs a new belt. I didn't squirt anything into the little ports in the motor area (I was afraid to do it) so I am bringing her in to the sewing machine shop on Thursday and the machine tech is going to give her a good looking over. He has all the stuff to repair the little 221s. I want to make sure that the motor is lubed correctly and all is OK.

I am glad that I took her apart and did all this cleaning stuff because now I know how she works. She's pretty simple (like me)

Anyway thanks again for being so nice to me. Have a great day everyone!

What a pretty baby.....(aren't they all???) As mentioned, Elsie Mae will be wanting siblings and then cousins. Brad has fallen in love with the 301s. We have two FW and 3 301s, one of each type, tan, black and two tone. He would rather sew on them than my Bernina ( and he is the one that bought my Bernina).

I would love to pick up a few more FW to give my DGD when they start sewing.

I too will try the sage as ours do have the musty smell.

What a great little machine! And in such good condition, that's amazing! It's funny how we have all got these advanced, bells and whistles longarm machines, and yet we drool over a tiny antique machine! Perhaps it's that link we feel to sewers in bygone ages. We can imagine them too, poring over patterns and fabric and threads - maybe some of them made quilts by machine too!

I haven't found a featherweight yet, but I love my full sized treadle and find it a stress buster.

Enjoy your quilting weekend!

Shelley

I keep hearing about featherweights and would like to know how I identify one when I see it. Are there numbers on it like our new machines? I KNOW I need some of these and can probably find one at some point in my travels or at least I can look for them if I know what i'm looking for. In 1994 I found a used Pfaff 1475 at an estate sale for $150.00. It had all the purchase papers with it and it was purchased the same month ,year and price I had bought mine for new. My daughter and I have twin machines. Would love to have twin featherweights.

Originally posted by Carreen

I keep hearing about featherweights and would like to know how I identify one when I see it. Are there numbers on it like our new machines?

Hi Carreen,

From my research on line, I learned a lot. Apparently the Singer 221 machines were mass produced for approx 30 years and you can easily find them for sale on line or even garage sales. I bought mine from ebay. Replacement parts are readily available and any sewing machine shop will service them. They were made in US, Canada and UK. You can find them in black, white (tan) too.

There is a number on the front (see pic). Some are in better shape than others, so look carefully. Many people buy them to collect and display (not to really use them) but I wanted one in good shape that I could use regularly so that is why I chose this one in particular.

Here is a link that has some good info on cleaning, also history about the 221 too. I learned a lot reading this page

http://singerfeatherweight221sewingmachine.com/

I hope you can find twin machines for you and your daughter. What a fun mom you are. :)

post--13461905040163_thumb.jpg

Shana, when I bought my first vintage Singer, a 201-2, the tension knob was stuck and would only turn from the number 5 to the number 7. I cleaned the machine, took the tension dial apart per the owners manual and it took me two days to figure out how to put it all back together. But when I did it worked like a charm. Someone had messed with the dial and had it all messed up. The good thing about those oldie but goodies, you can do the work yourself. I now have about 7 vintage...no Featherweights....yet....but it is only a matter of time. I love your new baby....I even showed her off to DH.

Archived