Hobbs 80/20 Hard to handle

I just did my first sampler (no photos yet) and the customer

gave me a bag of Hobbs 80/20. I had never used it before.

What a struggle to get that batting to behave. It so scratchy

and thin, and did not want to lay flat. I flipped it over

thinking that maybe I had the wrong side on the backing. No

change. I had to fuss with it from top to bottom, smoothing

out wrinkles (even after letting it rest overnight draped on

the rollers.

I noticed when I searched this forum, that a lot of quilters

use Hobbs as a base for other batting. (i.e. hobbs on the

bottom and quilters dream on top, hobbs on the bottom and

soft & bright poly on top.) I know that Hobbs is supposed to

produce that vintage look after washing but I swore I would

never use it again.

The quilt top was a 10 or 11 block sampler on point 70 x 90

all done in red-white-blue (white background)and the wide

back was a deep red. I really struggled with the thread

choice on this one. I felt like I had to use white on the front.

I ended up using Signature Cotton Parchment on the front

and red So Fine in the bobbin. I fussed with the tension

because I kept getting these tiny little white dots on the

back and some tiny little red dots on the front, especially

when I used 12 SPI. Sure hope the wash covers those little

dots.

I'm thinking that I would have had a nicer stitich if I had

used a batting that was a bit thicker. But that was what

the customer brought me. Does anybody else have

problems with single thickness Hobbs 80/20? What do you

do to tame the beast?

Out of the bag is rough stuff. I throw it in the dryer to try and staighten it out, but sometimes it seems it's all glued together. If a customer give it to me I try and let it breath out of the bag for a few days before I use it. Off the roll is better. I really like Warm and Natural 50/50, it's smooth and luxurious. Their Soft and Bright 100% needled polyester is wonderful too, you would swear it was a thick cotton batting. I buy it direct from the company on the roll.

Hi Linda,

Hobbs 80/20 is my batting of choice, don't understand why you had a problem. Yes it's ascrew when coming out of the bag but I just pull it out smooth..that's what I like, it doesn't come apart like Dream cotton. Although I love Dream cotton to touch I hate to quilt with it..it's so thin and when it hangs down in gets thin spots and when you need to pull it, well forget it. No one ever wants to buy the more expensisve thicker Dream, it's always the Request. The Hobbs 100% cotton with scrim is just wonderful to handle but the 80/20 has the least amount of shrinkage and yes it's a little scratchy...Polyester!! Hobbs is not real thick unless you are using 100% poly.. or the high end Dream or even Warm & Natural...UGGGHH.

The pin dots are hard to get rid of when you have two contrasting thread colors like you did..I'm using a Burgandy thread on a qult top right now and opted to you the same color in the bobbin even though the back is cream as I just didn't want to deal with that and trying for hours to get the tension PERFECT, because that is what it takes to not have pin dots.

Hester:cool:

Out of the bag like JoAnn said...it can be really rough....depends on the product that day....some days worst than others. I use a garment steamer to get the wrinkles out and it also takes out the stiff rough feel. Does the same thing that the dryer does, but I never seem to be able to do it that way....Always something in there.;) Also like JoAnn stated...if you have 48 hours extra, that helps also, it does need to breath, like a great wine.

I personally perfer the 80/20, however at times its really hard to get past the stiffness, but once you do it makes a great quilt.

Guest Linda S

Most people get their bags of Hobbs 80/20 from JoAnn's. I have been told, and I think this is very true, that the Hobbs at JoAnn's is second quality. I've gotten bags of it at the quilt store and not had trouble. I've also used it off the roll and it's been fine. I have to say though, that I now prefer Quilter's Dream batting.

Linda

Hi!

I use Hobbs 80/20 all the time! I sell it on the roll to my customers and use it from packages bought at Michael's(with a big fat coupon) on my own stuff-just to make my tax life easier!

I've never had any problems. I agree that I don't really like the thinner Quilter's Dream products, although I quilt plenty of customer quilts with them. I think that if you're going to pay for machine quilting, that you should use a batting that helps the quilting add texture to the quilt--like Hobbs 80/20, Quilter's Dream Poly, or Quilter's Dream Blend. Just my opinion.....

Jill Kerekes

I have always used warm and natural cotton just like the texture however everybody recommended HOBBS 80/20 so I purchased a roll of it and have to say I could not understand the hype...I felt the texture was uneven in spots and also noticed it is very thin after quilting.....I have also noticed I have more sticth problems when I use the HOBBS I just recently went back to the warm and natural and just feel like it is much better but it is really a individual thing I guess...Jackie:mad:

Thanks everybody for the info. I might try the dryer next time

a customer brings her own batting.

I love the fluff of Warm & Natural Soft & Bright, it is a dream

to quilt. But if I'm quilting for myself, I want cotton. For me,

that is warm and Natural. I know it flattens out but I love

getting under it. The poly stuff just bakes me - too hot.

Linda S, there may be something to your theory about the

batting from Joann's not being the best. Plus who knows

how it comes packed, jammed into a packing crate. This

stuff had to be pealed apart c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y so it would not

tear. Scary.

I'm hoping that the tiny dots will go away when she washes

it and it does that pucker up that so many folks like.

I have customers who wash their Hobbs 80/20 before bringing it to me....its like a whole 'nuther animal when its washed...fluffy, not scratchy at all....its a little touchy to handle once its washed, but I have had no problems quilting with it. My first choice is Quilter's Dream Select weight....yes you do have to be careful when you tug on it as it will stretch out where you've pulled, but those areas smooth out easily; I love the drape of the QD.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone ever heard of or used Airtex batting? When I was at my Great Black Hills Quilt Escape a couple weeks ago one of the instructors Sharon Hultgren had some samples. They have a Vintage 50/50 which feels really nice and soft, yet holds up. Don't know how it will work in a quilt and didn't want to buy a roll until I talked to someone who has used it in a quilt.

I have some airtex batting (16 oz) for machine trapunto...it is all poly, of course. So far it has been good for the trapunto. I didn't know they carried the 50/50. Also, I was speaking to Mountain Mist...they have a new 50/50 batt too. I don't care for Mountain Mist...I have the most trouble with it. The customer service person is sending me one to try....I had called to complain about a batt a customer gave me. This batt was filled with hard blue threads....pretty bad.

I, too, like CD batting except for the stretchiness of it and the ability to make dent marks when trying to straighten it out on the machine..I wouldn't mind so much if I could smooth out the dents...but it doesn't work.

So far, I like hobbs 80/20, hobbs heirloom which is like warm 'n natural. I didn't like the roll of bleached hobbs 80/20...it was too stiff.

Oh, well....

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I stock Hobbs Batting rolls. I have requested that my customers either purchase from me or buy batting by the yard. I do not accept packaged batting. However, I do have a couple of customers who prewash packaged batting and bring it with them. I have noticed that the bleached 80/20 is not as soft as the natural. It does soften after washing the quilt. 80/20 is my customer's favorite batting.

Airtex is manufactured about 25 miles from me. For that reason, I would really like to use the products. It would be nice to save the $$ on shipping by going and picking it up. Besides, it's nice to keep the money in your own state, sometimes. I have tried the products and find it has too much "leftover stuff" in it. At market this spring, I tried to discuss it with the salesman that was there and he was extremely rude! He said they've tried to get them to make it better, but oh well! I'd be getting rid of him if he worked for me. Not exactly the best representation for the company.

Ramona, I don't like the bags of the 80/20 either especially the non-bleached one. I use lots of 80/20 and it's my most popular batt that I carry. I only have the bleached and it's of course on a roll. The quality has always been great with very even thickness. It does feel scratchy but once it's quilted it and especially after it's washed it's soft and cuddly inside the quilt.

I have just tried the fairly new Warm and Natural 80/20 and it feels yummy. I bought a 124 inch wide roll at MQS and didn't get a chance to try it untill last week. It quilts nicely though I did have alot of batting pokies on one that had a homespun backing. I'm not sure how it does after washing etc. It's a bit thinner than the Hobbs 80/20 and you have to be careful not to stretch it while quilting--just like the Dream Cottons. The one problem is that it's not bleached -- so not good for those white quilts and I seem to get alot of those.

jeri

I used to use Hobbs almost exclusively but through the years, I have seen the quality decline considerably. I agree that the rolls seem to be better most of the time but not always. The last roll I had here had something that felt like glue spots throughout the batting. I was able to use it for my own quilts but was so afraid the needle would hit it and cause a problem. I had received a case of packaged batts with that same problem maybe 5 years ago and had returned them all to Hobbs.

The last roll of bleached 80/20 that I had ended up with what looked like chunks of black batting woven into it every now and then. That's great when you're using it for a white on white quilt . . having that show through. After realizing I had to inspect every square inch of Hobbs before using it it, I've switched to Quilters Dream or Warm & Natural.

Before giving up on Hobbs, I called Mr. Wilbanks and talked to him numerous times about the quality. He assured me they were working on the problems and admitted to every problem I was having.

I do love the feel of the 80/20 and I love the 100% cotton Heirloom too but it's just not worth the hassle for me any more to use Hobbs.

I have two rolls of Hobbs 80/20 under my machine so you can tell I use it most of the time. I have never had a problem with it and most of my customers prefer it over the Hobbs Organic cotton that I also carry.

I have used quite a variety of batts and have recently been useing some of the Quilters Dream products. One lady sent a bag of the poly which I was not too happy about..................it turned out just fine though and I had not problems.

I recently ordered some cotton from QD and have loaded one of the quilts that will use that batting................I have not started the quitling yet but it feels really nice........this is thier midweight white cotton.

Hi Linda,

Have my third quilt done since I have my Millennium, and I have quilted it with Hobbs 80/20, twin size. No problem at all there, beacuse I am used to quilt with 80/20 or 100% cotton from Hobbs on a sewing machine, so I was already familiar with the thickness ( or lack of it ).

I always get the batting out of the bag, one or two days before quilting, and hang it out completely, to let it become flat - I use the railing in my house ( the loft ), so even large batting like king size can hang there completely over this railing. After this time my batting is really smooth, and easy to work with.

No problems here.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

I think I read all the posts about Hobbs 80/20 and will try it for the 1st time as soon as my Megans 5" ruler comes in! Now, I thought you put the "rough/beady" side toward the backing, but many of you have problems with pokies..so should I put the rough/beady side up towards the top? I was thinking the needle wouldn't like going thru the nubbs...Thanks, Elaine

Onesewise, I don't have any pokies, because I replace my needle every new project - so no pokies so far. I have the 80/20 any way up I like, I don't check which side should be on top or at the bottom. I do however check this with the Hobbs organic 100% cotton with scrimbinder: this batting has a rought side ( bottom facing ) and a smooth side with the scrim ( top facing ). I don't have any problems with pokies with this batting either... am I lucky so far?

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Elaine (onesewise) - I just had the Dawn Cavanaugh ABC's

of Quilting at Innovations and I took notes.

Warm & Natural - dirty side up (toward quilt top)

Hobbs 80/20 - stubby side down toward backing.

Sewingupastorm - how about a report onthe QD cotton

(medium loft). How did it quilt up for you? I just bought

a box (6 twins) of QD Cotton (high loft) but have not

tried it yet. It does seem to be thicker than Warm &

Natural, tho.

I will try Hobbs 80/20 again if somebody brings it to me. But

I will let it 'breathe' for a couple days before trying to work with it.

Archived