How clean is your bobbin case?

ramona-quilter

While quilting that Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt I notices a "funny feel" to my machine. You should have seen the yuk that was in my bobbin case. I clean my machine after each quilt and take it almost completely apart to clean it, I couldn't believe it. I guess it was lint in the old fabric.

Guest Linda S

I have, for some time now, been cleaning my bobbin case thoroughly with every couple of bobbin changes. I blow the lint out of it with air during each bobbin change, but after a few bobbins, I put the case in a shop rag and spray WD-40 into it. Then I get a Q-tip and thoroughly clean it out, being careful not to leave any cotton behind. Things do get dirty in there, and if you keep it clean, you'll have less problems!

Linda

Thanks for the boobin tips ladies... I need to do a good cleaning job on my bobbin also. I do air blow out the bobbin every time I quilt and put a drop of oil in there.. I need to take it out and really really clean out the bobbin case... I love my Compu Quilter.. I am working on my first full quilt at this time... It is wonderful...

Barb

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not....wouldn't surprise me if he to refers to it as a "Springer Thingy".....after all we girls have rewritten his technology dictionary....he just has to keep up with the times....or be left in the dust.

Huh Mark.

But to answer the question of how often you replace it....I've heard several answers:

1) The obvious, when it breaks, and yes they can if you don't get them in right or you get to heavy handed when you press it back into place.

OR

2) When they just don't have any springer action left in them and they don't hold the bobbin in correctly. They wear down with all the metal bobbins rubbing on them and they just give out....

Yes you can replace the blue springy thing! But sometimes you can just go in and bend the little tabs back up so it will work properly again. And I do understand "do hicky" language. :):) Seems I learned the hard way, but I mostly have it down after all these years. You guys are way too funny!!

Later,

I wipe out all of the lint with a cotton towel. Then I run the machine on a medium speed with no thread in the needle and spray with WD-40. After a minute or so I stop the machine and wipe it out again and use a Q-tip to really get in there and get the yuky lint that my towel misses. Then I put a drop of oil in and let the machine run again. After a minute I stop the machine and wipe out any oil that might have flung everywhere. That's it....

I don't get along with the blue springy thing! It doesn't want to go back in properly so we always fight. Lately, I've won more often than lost, but when it wins it really causes problems. Consequently, I always blow it out the bobbin case when cleaning the bobbin area, but try to avoid taking the blue springy thing out and using the Q-tip and oil to clean it. That's my last "I'm desperate and nothing else has worked." thing to do. After that I either get the maintenance video out or call Mark.

Phyllis Hughes

Liberty

Oklahoma City

Am I understanding this right: you actually put oil in the bobbin case (not talking the bobbin area under the machine)...You put oil where the bobbin sits? Doesn't oil get on the thread?

Do you put the oil right on the springer thingy? (to keep it technical...in case Mark is listening in)

I often use prewounds and take off the cardboard....this doesn't sound compatible to oiling that area.

Hi Linda,

I put a little oil on a cotton swab and wipe it around under the blue springy disc and a little around the inside edges. This is not a huge drop, just a little on a swab. On occasion, I take apart the case (using the two side screws) and also wipe a little oil around the outside before reassembling.

Kay

I ordered some books from columbia river quilting, and saw that they had bobbins and blue springy thingies. Since I was already placing an order I got one of each. I didn't realize that their blue springs are different than APQS's. I did use the new bobbin with its different spring and had no trouble. I would assume that APQS sells the springs, but I have not checked.

Thanks for the clarification, Kay.

APQS does carry the blue springy thing. :) We never used to be able to get it, but have since found the one that we like. Columbia River does carry a spring as well as Kingsmen, but it is a little different than the original with the little tabs that stick up. Just call 800-426-7233 ext.6 to order. I believe they are around $1.90.

Later,

Archived