T-shirt Quilts

It can be done, but it will make it very heavy. The t-shirts and interfacing weigh more than cotton.

I wouldn't worry too much about the seams - these are industrial machines and can handle a lot. You may want to try to offset things so the seams aren't directly on top of each other.

You may have to use monofilament in both top and bobbin - if so, only wind the bobbin halfway full.

Good luck -

Julia

I had a client bring me a large double quilt using T-shirts on front and back. She actually went to the trouble of stitching down all of the seams with a running stitch which she took out after it was quilted. I used monopoly on top and bobbin with no problems. I really didn't like the quilt and it was way too heavy. But it was what she wanted and it made her happy.

Starla,

I did several t-shirt quilts before Christmas. They had cotton backings. I threw my timing off when I hit either a thick seam or some of the "rubbery" stuff they use to make t-shirt designs. I would NOT recommend doing a front and back, both out of t-shirts.

Anette;)

I did the double sided t-shirt quilt with Hobbs 80/20 batting. I used Signature thread and my Millie had absolutely no trouble whatsoever going over seams and thicknesses. All of the t-shirts were fused with lingerie fusible interfacing first to help cut down the stretching.

I had no trouble with the quilting, just more work that I want to do keeping things lined up, so will only do single sided quilts.

I quilted 2 quilts for a lady last month, one was T shirts on both front and back and the other was a jean quilt. I just used fannel for the batting on the jean quilt but she used 80/20 on the T shirt quilt.

She used t shirt stablizer on both front and back of the t shirts, she didin't have stableizer on the sashing and she had it pressed very well.

It was as neat as a pin when she brought it to me and it turned out great. She picked out the CL swirle to do both of them. She loved them and she is a real picky person.:):o

Archived