shipping information

My Freedom just took a trip from MN to MS. Poor Lisa had to drive it to Caroll IA to APQS. They re-boxed it and shipped it to me ABF. The companies that came out to give Lisa an estimate gave her HUGE shipping charges!!! She had several come out before she decided to take it to the factory herself. It was still very expensive for me. When all is done I will have about $800 in shipping costs. That is a bunch to me.

I used UPS freight and it was between $800 and $900 to ship my Liberty from VA to MN. If you can get a business discount it might be less. I also had insurance on the machine head and everything was packed in the original boxes, even the rails. We taped the two rail boxes together so it would count as one package.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my Mille shipped from a private residence to a business address here in AZ. Before having it shipped, I called several shipping companies. Because the machine & frame weren't coming from the factory, they were considered "used", regardless of the condition. None of the companies would cover the replacement cost of the machine, if it was damaged in transit, for what I was paying it. They would literally pay only pennies on the dollar! (My machine was practically new; the owner from whom I was buying it had never stitched a single quilt on it. Tony, from APQS, went to the owner's home & said the sample cone of thread was still on the machine, as well as the sample sandwich that APQS had put on the machine when they'd set it up for this owner. She had never turned it on!) Therefore, I found the best rate for shipping the machine & had it shipped to a business address (the local self-storage company from whom we're renting a unit). It costs more for some reason to have it shipped to & from a private residence. I believe the shipping company I used was ABF; they charged, back in 2005, about $600 for the trip from Iowa to AZ. Just call around & describe what you're needing to have shipped. Be sure to ask what each carrier will pay if something should be damaged or lost in transit, whether they'll assume full financial responsibility for a used machine or if they'll cover the machine for its full value.

Then, to cover the replacement cost of the machine or frame if it happened to be damaged in transit, I purchased a little insurance policy from our agent. I believe it was called "Trip Insurance" or something like that. It only covered the machine & frame while in transit. It cost about $50 to have that insurance for the 5-7 days it took my machine to get from Iowa (a personal residence) to AZ (the business address). But the machine/frame was covered for every dollar I had paid for it.

Hope this helps.

Pat Frost

AZ

Whose selling her Mille to go back to work outside the home.

I recently was helping someone sell their machine and it was just as Pat mentioned....shipping a used machine was impossible from here in NY...the first buyer was in Chicago and the cheapest LTL freight company I could find with me boxing up and actually taking it to the frieght dock was $1000....oh, they all did offer insurance, but wasn't worth the cost for what they would pay should something happen.

So when we finally did make contact with a buyer and it was an 8 hour drive from here, I loaded up the thing on the SUV and drove it down. WAY cheaper than what it would have cost freight wise.

Archived