1930's Grandma's Flower Garden

Help!

Yesterday, a neighbor brought me a quilt top handpieced by her Grandma in the 1930's. I believe it is called "Grandma's Flower Garden and is very pretty, fragile but decent enough shape for having been stored in a sack in a basement for many years. The grandmother has longed since passed away.

She want s me to do an overall panto on it--she is not interested in the quilting design. She just likes the colors and it was her Grandma's. The quilt is screaming no way!

However, I also have no desire to stitch each nickel size piece (queen size) or stitch in the ditch around each little piece--but it would sure look awesome. Anyway, what if I were to stitch a rose flower in the center of each block and then just outline each layer of circle around it. She did use a green and white path design around each flower--true to the Vintage pattern that I am not sure what to do with. She wants a cream color thread and that might be fine with the rose idea but then would rather use a clear invisible thread for stitching in the ditch around each outer layer. I would post a picture but need husband to do the magic and he is not here.

She is not interested in a custom job, not interested in having it hand quilted, not interested in an heirloom....just use a panto or freehand. I feel bad for the quilt and feel my idea would give it some dignity. Or should I just do it her way?

I would appreciate any ideas, advice..... She also gave me two others but that is another story for another day.

I have one to do too...and am going to do as my friend asked...freehand or panto. Hers isn't old...she hand pieced it about 8 years ago. She wants it quilted so it can be used. We can't get emotionally tied to a quilt especially when the owner isn't! She probably wants to cut costs and just wants the quilt done so it can be used. My 2 cents.

Can you share with her what you're thinking, see what she thinks, and then if she likes the ideas but not the price you can decide. If she says no thank you, do an all over/panto, you'll have at least done the best you can for the quilt. Did that make sense. Wow brain is not all together here.

I did a quilt called cobblestones which was the same kind of deal...really called for custom but customer brought it to me for an edge to edge. I did a stencil that had a meander with a little country flower in it every so often, really turned out cute. I would do what your customer requested. I'm sure her Grandma will be happy in heaven to see that the quilt actually got quilted and loved instead of left in a basement.

I had a customer bring me a GFG that she hand pieced during drives to the cottage with her DH (he drove :P). Anyway, she wanted all over and selected the Circle Lord swirls. I did try to talk her into something else a bit more custom - and at the time I even pointed her to Georgene's quilt. But she wanted the swirls, so I did the swirls. She was very happy with it and since has come back with other quilts for me to quilt.

I think you should do what the customer asks. You've given your opionion, but in the end it is her decision.

post--13461905714098_thumb.jpg

Actually that Swirlz doesn't look bad on the top....much better than I had imagined.

We're used to seeing custom on these quilts, but, you're right, whatever they want.

Although I recall in a class with Karen McTavish, that she talked about unwillingingly doing an allover on a beautiful applique quilt. It was what the customer wanted.

Some time later she was at a quilt show and saw a beautiful applique quilt and said: "Who in the world would do an allover on that quilt?" Then she recognized it and saw the credit for the quilter, herself.

Thanks for all your replies. Since my customer is not of the sewing or quilt world, she does not have the vision of what it could/should be. I think I may show her pictures of Georgene's quilt which is similar to what I had in mind and go with whatever she decides.

Caroline, your quilt did look really nice with the swirls. The panto my customer liked had lots of swirls so I think it too would look just fine. It is her decision.

Also enjoyed the story on Karen McT. I can only imagine what she must of felt. Thanks for the smile/laugh.

Archived