Sort of wobbly thing going on

Zora

OK.. so I am using my QZ to put overlapping half-circles in a border..10 inch half circles, with a 9.5 inch echo inside it. There is a point where the machine feels kind of wobbly or wavery, and the distance between these parallel lines becomes somewhat inconsistent. It doesn't feel smooth when I am quilting them, either. It is only at a point along the arc, and the point along the arc varies. No, I am not leaning on the rollers, because I have made a point of NOT leaning on the bars, and still I get this. Everything is locked down tight, as well. Has anyone else experienced this?

Do you have the spreader bar in--I sometimes try to cheat and not use that and I will have some various problems. You might want to try stopping right when the wobbling starts and then look everything over to see if you find anything.

Sorry but that i all I can come up with right now.

Terri

Lynn,

I've not experienced this problem. I would look at two things. 1 - stylus. How much downward pressure do you have on the it? Maybe it is too tight and binding. 2. Is your machine head catching on something? You should be able to take the QZ arm off and follow the shape and see if you have the same problem.

The stylus should wobble at all. Make sure that you don't have something loose.

Yes, I thought about the spreader bar thing, Terri. I moved it closer, thinking maybe that was the issue. It still does it. I'll try the things you suggested, Heidi. I've already checked to make sure the machine itself isn't binding. That doesn't seem to be the problem since I don't experience it at any time except when using the QZ. Tomorrow's another day!

OK..so here is what I found out. I re-positioned the bracket on the machine. No help. I re-positioned the stylus. No help. I re-adjusted the whole QZ..making it tighter on the rollers. Still no help.

No, it doesn't do it in the same place if I stitch the arc in the opposite direction.

So, what I found out is, if I drive the QZ with the little knob on the stylus, I get a smooth arc. If I use the handles on the machine, which I had been doing as a general rule, I get the wobbles. Apparently there is just a bit of play in the something, and the QZ is sort of wallowing around somewhere when I drive with the machine handles. When I drive with the stylus knob, I am applying outward pressure along the arc, so I'm not getting the wobbles.

Now, exactly what is wobbling, I am not sure. I have tried to watch, and what I have seen is that the QZ disc sort of dips at the upper right when I reach a certain point in the arc going left to right. I will take the QZ off tomorrow and see if I can tell what, if anything is loose. For now, driving with the knob works out, so I will finish the border that way tonight.

Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know what I find out, Adam and Linda.

I assumed you were driving the QZ with the stylus knob...and not the handles. That is the best way I have found to maintain the best control and accuracy of the QZ.

The handles most likely cause a bit of a flex to the machine which in turn causes the QZ to appear to have wobbles. I seriously doubt that you will find anything loose on the QZ itself after your initial checks. I am a bit surprised that you were driving the QZ by the handles...and were able to keep the stylus in place. Maybe others do it as you describe..I would be curious what their results are.

I use my handles all the time. When making bigger circles if you have too much downward pressure on the stylus you can rock the QZ if it isn't seated completely. I find this happens more if ther is still a lot of quilt rolled on the bar. Make sure you have the QZ seated completely. I do find when do 1/4" dense cross hatching that I can get it to go wonky if I pull too hard on the handles. In that case I generally use my microdrive handles and I keep my other hand on the stylus so that Ican lift and move it as needed.

I also tend to drive my QZ with the knob. Though sometimes I drive the knob with my left hand and have my right hand on the left machine handle.

One thing that I do is, I use that rubber shelf liner under the my QZ. For me it makes sure there is no sideways movement with my QZ.

Well I guess I better try driveing with the knob!!!

I don't have a SR on my machine--and the stop button is on the right handle--so I always use the handles to drive and just make sure that the stylus is low enough to always stay in the track.

I do use the crank for the spiros--just have to have quick reaction timeing to shut the stitching off when I come tothe end of the spiro.

Interesting discussion!!!

The key when using the machine handles is to not push or pull too hard. If you do and hit the side of the template you can flex things. I'm sure it is that way with any of the stylus systems (I had the same results with the Topper). I love my micro handles though for this and you don't tend to get the flex. Like I say sometimes I will drive with my left on the stylus. I always use the crank handle for the spirograph.

Well I guess I better try driveing with the knob!!!

I don't have a SR on my machine--and the stop button is on the right handle--so I always use the handles to drive and just make sure that the stylus is low enough to always stay in the track.

I do use the crank for the spiros--just have to have quick reaction timeing to shut the stitching off when I come tothe end of the spiro.

Interesting discussion!!!

Archived