My first commissioned T shirt quilt

This is my first commissioned T shirt quilt. It's got a collection of Hawaiian t shirts from her grandmother who passed away. My friend wanted to have it quilted in a blanket then give it to her daughter for her birthday next month. She was close to her grandmother. It's such a great way to keep those memories alive.

Did just a fast meander on it. Didn't want to take away from the T-shirts. The sashing and borders were kind of busy too.

post--13461905914471_thumb.jpg

I don't know if I'm doing it right, it's just my 2nd one I did, but I used a lightweight iron on stabilizer. Then sashed each shirt around with a 2 1/2 inch border. When making one, it's good to have all the t-shirts cut the same size. This customer had the shirts already cut but some were different size. So notice my borders are smaller on a few of them. Having them all the same size makes putting it together much easier. When quilting this one, I used the thinnest batting I had because my first quilt I did weighed a ton. Those T-shirts makes the quilt very heavy.

Nanbrug, Hope you make one, they are fun to do. Great way to keep those special memories.

Archived