Thread Painting Technical Advice Needed

Hi and Help!

I've made a one block blunder (a very bland looking one block wonder that needs spicing up). 'Thinking that some threadwork is in order. Probably will end up putting in some basic shapes filled with a tight meander or loops.

Has anyone had experience with this because I need technical advice. Do I need a stabilizer? Do I mount the stabilizer on the backing roll and take up roll or can I just pin it on the the backside of the top. What kind of stabilizer and thread would work well. Any advice out there. . . .

Thanks Linda

From my limited knowledge of thread painting, load the quilt and go for it. No stabilizer is needed. Those products are used for embroidery where they are the bottom layer and keep the thread from pulling too tight--which happens when you stitch through only one layer of fabric. Your batting and backer will be fine alone, plus if you are doing all that stitching on fabric alone, it will be flat and you will be stitching around it all again when you sandwich it. So I vote for just doing it once!

If you are planning on applying a layer of thread to brighten a block, micro stitching inside or outside a motif is a great idea. If you want more stitch definition use two batts--a thin cotton next to the backer and wool or poly on top of that. That will pop the motifs and make all your stitching worthwhile.

Yes yes, pictures please!:)

I found out the hard way, when I want to do thread painting, do it first with a muslin backing.. then when finished with that, remove one end of the quilt from the roller. Cut away excess fabric from around the thread painting area and put on the "real" backing and quilt it then. where the thread painting is, just do some of the outline of features.. you'll then have a pretty backing, instead of the thread painting, which would not be understandable from the back side.

Any pro's ?? I'd like to know the right answer too.

I do a lot of thread painting, Once you start your customers will start finding pre printed blocks that they can sew in without much work and you get to make it pop--LOL. Its fun though. You kind of go by the seat of your pants and the materials you have on the quilt. This determines my speed and the rate I move the head. If its an intense pattern such as the wolf quilt I did--(see our gallery section) on our website, then you need to slow down and control the seams as they are quite close and the fabric gets hard enough not to let the needle through as the artwork fills. Take it kind of like those old paint by numbers sets you used to get for Christmas. The sections kind of printed out to the different colors your using. You can judge the edges for any out lining, etc. I use the printed motif sometimes and just highlight the accent lines, tree branches, rocks, water ripples, just anything to secure the top and make it look cool. I have never used and extra backing or stabilizer. What you see is what you get! Hope this helps---Grasshopper

I hate to say it but the photo actually looks better than the quilt. The quilt is less contrasty than the photo and truely is bland.

What I was planning was to use a lime colored thread which matches the inner border which is also scattered about in some of the blocks. The lime should really pop from the background. And maybe i could use a very light plum.

I am not planning a really really dense thread painting. . . .something more see through like Libby Lehman might do.

Thanks for all the great technical advice as well as the cheerleading. It always helps. I'll have to try some things out on muslin and report back.

Linda

Archived