Need help getting ink out of fabric

At the end of my wholecloth design class with Karen McTavish at MQX when I was tired and bleary eyed, I accidently drew on my off-white fabric with a blue ball point pen instead of my blue water erasable marker. Oh brother. :(:o

Does anyone know how to get that out without fading or discoloring my fabric?

Jess

I always use hairspray to get ink off of clothing. Just spray and rub and keep spraying until the ink disappears then wash the item. I've used it on different colour clothes without any issues.

You might want to try it out on a scrap of same fabric before your quilt just in case. I think it's the alcohol in the hairspray so I wonder if rubbing alcohol would do the same thing?

I think it probably would, why don't you spray some (if you're trying hairspray) into a container and give it a try. I still would try it out on a scrap of same fabric with same in as a test first. it may take a few applications so don't give up too easily :) Good Luck!!! let me know how it goes

Jess,

I just got out my bottle of "Sew Clean" that I bought at MMQS last year and read the label. It says: "Sew Clean removes ball point ink, pencil, crayon marks, lipstick, make-up, fingerprints, blood, grass stains, grease, rust stains, cofffe, soft drinks, chewing gum, and a lot more". Everyone told me it is the best thing out there. I haven't used it on any of my quilts but I have used it on some stubborn stains on clothing and it has worked wonders. I think I bought it at Pam Clarke's booth. It says that it is distributed by Bear Thread Designs and there is a phone # of 281-462-0661 to order.

Hair spray works ! We had an event one time and had brand new white tablecloths on the tables. Some "not so wise" parent gave their kid a ball point pen to draw with.............all over the white tablecloth. I sprayed the area before washing and the marks were disappearing before I got to the washer.

I have used alcohol to remove ink for over 30 years. I ended up with the whole cartridge of ink on some pants when I worked in the school--some "unbrained" person squeeze the ink cartridge in the vice on the shop table and smeared it on the edge where you don't see it. Got all over the lower zipper area of khaki pants!!! I treated with alcohol over and over and got it all out. It may spread at first, just keep using it and it will come out. (the school made the kid give me $$ for new pants--I ended up with two pairs when the first one was finally cleaned up.)

Archived