M & M wheel installation ????

OK, I am dying to get the M & M wheels for my Millie, but not sure if I can install them myself. DH is NOT good at these things and I'd rather not blow 42 years of marriage over 8 wheels ! :P:P:P:P I was looking at my machine the other day and all the wheels seem pretty easy to do except those 2 back ones where all the "goodies" are also attached. That scares the bejeebers out of me. Also, do the rails have to be adjusted?

Thanks for ANY help/advice you can give me. I REALLY don't want to take her down and to the shop. Anyone make housecalls ? :)

Guest Linda S

I suggest taking pictures with a digital camera before hand if you can -- that way you can be sure to get things back the right way. I did mine myself, but the air did turn pretty blue in my studio for a few hours. I do have to admit that I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I finished!

I took the head off which meant taking off all the rails. The directions are excellent. When I was done I needed help getting the head lined up with the carriage. I called my brother and he did the lifting ang I guided it on the carriage. He also helped line the rails up. I have the 14" table. The best thing is that it worked channel locks and stitch regulator!!!! You can do it too!

Linda

I changed mine with the head still on the table. I had to wedge, alternatively, the carriage and the head while I worked on each set of wheels. The rear carriage axle was not as complicated as I had expected. The front one was harder without the third hand. All would have been easier if I had taken the head off the table but removing and replacing the head would need the help of another person.

It is definitely do-able & I understand why you might want to send DH off to do something else! Mine tends to 'allow' me to help!!!

Good luck. You will love them - I can now backtrack semi-respectably!!

They are much easier than the Edgeriders. My suggestion is to set everything out by the directions. They show you pictures so arrange everything like the pictures. Then start like they say and you'll be done in no time. Follow the instructions EXACTLY.

We also did not take the head off the carriage. DH just propped it up with pieces of wood (books or magazines would do, probably. When we got to the back wheels, we needed to make sure the head didn't roll backward and forward, so I steadied it. I don't know that it is a one person project that way, but surely your DH cas steady the carriage for you.

Lynn

Only word of caution - make sure they are not upside down when you put them on. there's a right and wrong way and that's the one thing that most likely goes wrong. My son did mine while I watched :D but I had printed out one of the forum topics that discussed this so he wouldn't make that mistake. sorry - didn't keep it.

Go by the directions they are good.. If you follow the directions it won't be hard. I have found that not all the tables are the same and can require different size tools than are in the directions in order to accomplish the replacement.

I would take the head off and check your grease at the same time for any air pockets if your machine has any "growly" sounds. (Amy's term) I took my head off and put it back on by myself. The other ones I've done I've had help with the head. On mine I had room to take the rollers out of the brackets and slide them far enough so that I could remoe the head. I rested the ends of the rollers on my table with a foled towel under them .

Wear clothes you don't mind getting grubby.

Linda, it's true - the instructions are fabulous! Just take it a step at a time and you won't go wrong. As said in this thread, you can do it with the machine still on the table, or you can take it off. I have found it easier to take the head off, but I'm used to doing that for shows anyway. I've done a dozen or more installations (did one just today :P ), so if you decide to go ahead, and then run into something you don't understand, don't hesitate to call, especially if it's after hours for APQS.

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

Thanks everyone - keep talking - you just about have me convinced I can do this !!! LOL Seriously, I really do want to get the wheels. Hopefully, very soon.

After ordering them about how long does it take to get them?

I think mine was less than a week. I don't remember exactly, but I do remember being surprised. Yay!

Linda, You sound pretty able to do this, get them. The directions are wonderful. Shoot I just sent my stock off to HMQS for the show. You can leave your machine on if you prop it up . I use pieces of wood that are about the same height. A stack of magazines works really well too. And we always have those on hand, right.

OK, OK..........I DID IT ! Just e-mailed APQS and ordered the M & M Wheels!!!!! I'll probably hear from them tomorrow about payment, etc. I was downstairs looking at my machine and when I came up DH asked what I was doing? I said I was just checking some things on my machine. THEN he asked if there was something I needed for it ! Well, since HE asked, I told him about the M & M wheels............SHOCKER OF SHOCKERS he said I better go ahead and get them ordered !!!! (He must have his eye on a new "toy" too ???) :):):) His next comment was "I suppose I have to put them on?" I told him "the girls on the website" say I can do it myself..........the color came back to his face. :P:P:P:P So, now I am excited !!!!

Myrna, I would have ordered from you, but you just said you had shipped your stock off to HMQS. Now, with the DVDs I ordered from you and the new wheels, I should be able to "feather" up a storm..........??????

Didn't hear anything yet from APQS Sales regarding my M & M wheel order. :( I am sure they are very busy getting ready for the big quilt shows/events coming up. I'm just so anxious to get those wheels now that I have made the decision ! I know I will hear something soon, as they have been very good about that in the past. :):):):)

Archived