Photo quilt

This one is for my step-daughter's graduation. I chose colors I thought a young person would like. I never intended so many pictures, but due to both her parents remarrying she was no longer an only child...she now has 10 siblings. Funny how that works.

You can see a close up of the main fabric in the close up pic. It's so pretty in person.

post--13461906129857_thumb.jpg

It's beautiful fabric and here is a closer shot so you can see how pretty it is. It's one of JoAnn's premium fabrics that was regularly $10 a yard and I used a 50% coupon and got it for $5 a yard. It feels very rich. I'm not a snob with my fabric...I like good fabric and I know what it feels like so if I find some at JoAnn's...I buy it. If I find some at my LQS I buy it. I buy it online without ever getting to feel it and I've been very lucky to get great fabric.

post--13461906136657_thumb.jpg

Oma,

Lovely quilt, I was just admiring that fabric at Joann's yesterday!

I wonder if you might share a little information about making the photos, such as what process did you use and what fabric sheets did you choose? I'm investigating photo quilts to make one for my mom and am reading a book about it, but would love to hear from first hand experience and any trial & error you went through. And any reference books you might recommend.

Thanks!

Colette

Originally posted by Calicoquilter

Oma,

I just bought the Hibiscus fabric that you show in the first close up photo. I loved it and I got the end of the bolt which was only about a yard and a few inches. I wish I had seen it sooner, I would have bought more. By the way, I love your photo quilt.

They ran out of it online fairly fast and my local JoAnn's did too, but I was lucky enough to stop at another JoAnn's and they had lots of it so I bought 10 yards of it :o (I had a coupon). I have another quilt in mind for it and since I still had the co-ordinating fabrics I didn't use in the first quilt I told myself it was a good idea.

Originally posted by Calicoquilter

Oma,

I just bought the Hibiscus fabric that you show in the first close up photo. I loved it and I got the end of the bolt which was only about a yard and a few inches. I wish I had seen it sooner, I would have bought more. By the way, I love your photo quilt.

I bought 10 yards of it and 4 or 5 co-ordinating fabrics. I wasn't sure what pattern I was going to think up for it just that it would be a photo quilt for Sarah so I bought enough to do pretty much anything I decided on. These are also my dil's favorite colors so she will get a quilt out of it too.

Originally posted by Colette

Oma,

Lovely quilt, I was just admiring that fabric at Joann's yesterday!

I wonder if you might share a little information about making the photos, such as what process did you use and what fabric sheets did you choose? I'm investigating photo quilts to make one for my mom and am reading a book about it, but would love to hear from first hand experience and any trial & error you went through. And any reference books you might recommend.

Thanks!

Colette

Sure. I don't do it like everyone says...only because I figured it out myself before I had such good resources all around me. I've been printing on fabric for years. I've made several photo quilts and other projects and I've had very good luck with them.

I use an ink jet printer. The make and model doesn't matter because over the years I've used Canon, Lexmark, Brother, HP and probably some others. At the moment I have a HP Officejet 7500A Wide Format (meaning I can print 13x19 sizes).

I order my Inkjet Printable Fabric online mostly. I do this because I can usually get it cheaper. I buy the pack of 50 sheets. It works out to be around a dollar a sheet or a little less. If you buy it in a store or quilt shop the packs are usually only 5 or 10 sheets and it's a little more expensive. Sometimes I do a quilt using an 8x10 picture size, but on this particular quilt I used a 5½ x 5½ picture so I could get two pics per sheet. 4x6 would be a great size too.

The sheets I use mostly are by Dritz and they are called Printed Treasures Sew-On Inkjet Printable Fabric. They come in 8.5"x11" sheets. You place them fabric side down in your printer tray. I'm sort of compulsive about only doing one sheet at a time because the printer has a nasty habit of grabbing more than one sheet making both sheet unusable and wastes sheets.

You print on them, peel the back off, then sew them onto whatever you are making. These do NOT have a sticky back to them. When making quilts I place a thin, white cotton fabric behind them before sewing them on. I use the thin fabric so it doesn't add bulk. I do this because it seems to make the colors pop and also sort of stabilizes the photo fabric. I don't attach it with glue or fusible web or anything. Just cut it the same size as the fabric and sew them as one. If I'm putting a picture on a T-shirt then I use the adhesive Inkjet Printable Fabric sheets...not these.

I press them with an iron as I am piecing them into my quilt. I figure it sets the ink. The instructions recommend removing excess ink by rinsing in cold water, laying flat to dry then iron on a low setting. I have never done this step. I haven't had excess ink evidently.

I print them, sew them, press as I go and give the quilt with the instructions to machine wash in cold water on a gentle cycle and a mild detergent and machine dry using low heat.

I have never had any problems doing them this way. I don't use Retayne or any of the other products although I think that way works wonderful too.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions then just ask me.

This quilt is one my two granddaughters and I made for their other grandmother. These pics are 8x10.

post--13461906138534_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Keil2Adam

Hey Oma that was a perfect gift.She is very happy in pic.Awesome idea never thought that we could make such a fantastic Quilt.

My other daughter told her to remember that no matter where she went in her life...her family would be wrapped around her with love. I thought that was sweet.

There is so much talent on this forum. It amazes me. I love the inspirations we can find here.

Archived