NYB(?) quilting ideas needed, please.

I have this quilt to quilt and I will use black thread but that is the only thing I know for sure. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what to do with this; either simple custom or an allover. I need something that will repeat. I would like custom because of the jagged inner border. I would like to accent this, but I don't know with what. I would like to make sure all the quilting complimented each other, but I don't know where to start. Help, please!!! It's been on the frame for over a week because I can't decide what to do. Let me change that to "I don't know what to do". The individual blocks are about 6 inches and four blocks are joined with a pink center. TIA.

WHere the corners of the 4 blocks come together you can see a shape like the inside of a double wedding ring you could put a feathered wreath or such in.

Whirly gig from centre pink square out into centre of arcs.

SID or CC the arc.

Is this quilt already bound?- the pink around the outside.

Lyn

post--13461906136376_thumb.jpg

Boy that is a tough one. My immediate thought was like Janice and do a motif where all the centers come together. You really could do almost anything. Look at some of the wedding ring designs to get ideas. I would SID the NYB part. You can do almost anything in those borders. You need to pick a theme and then build from there. For instance you could do linear, circles, feathers (not formal but funky feathers), concentric circles, etc. Start there and then build on it.

Simple lines would look good with this quilt. I drew a few lines to get the idea. The curved diamond could have a small background fill if you choose or continue to close it with the curved lines. I would SID around all the points and straight lines in each of the half circles. You could add circles in each point also only if yoiu want to pack the points down or have points to stand out. I hope this helps for ideas.

I think a grey thread would look nice also!!

Sorry, I don't know what NYB stand for......lol

post--13461906137207_thumb.jpg

Thank you for all the ideas.

I bought a ruler from Ranae in Paducah that would help with Rebecca's design.

Everyone, if you have any more suggestions, please post them; I won't start on this until I know what I'm doing:P. Any suggestions for the borders? I was going to use BL(not easy to see) in black, but I do have a silver that could pass for gray.

Sylvia, are you saying no quilting in the pink or another color, i.e. pink?

You gals are all to complicated for me, although all the ideas are excellent. I have a NYB on my frame right now. I outline the spikes with a serpentine squiggly line, do the half heart in each block center, do a simple feather around the outside of each NYB block, using the outside circle line as the spine. The Quilt is well quilted but the quilting doesn't take over the Quilt if that makes any sense.

Good luck, it is a gorgeous Quilt for sure.

Monica, I understand what you mean about well quilted but not taken over. I agree. I don't think it needs heavy quilting, and I don't want to do it anyway:P, that's one reason I like the lines covering four blocks like Rebecca showed. What do you mean by a half heart in the center? Can you post a pic of the one you're working on. These blocks are 6 inches and the spikes are small. Do you have any ideas for the borders?

Just finished the NYB, here is a picture, don't really have a good close up, but you can see some of the quilting. What I meant by half a heart in the center is to do that half a heart thingy on each seam...yah, sorry, the correct term escapes me right now. On my borders, which are small, I did a very loose swirly teardrop meander, keeping with the carefree overall design of the Quilt. To me it is very playfull, so i tried to keep my quilting in line with that.

<a  href=2491897730101261555S500x500Q85.jpg' alt=

2198697540101261555S500x500Q85.jpg

2510264000101261555S500x500Q85.jpg

I make and quilt quite a few NYB's and I find that the book "New York Beauty Simplified" by Linda J. Hahn not only teaches a simple way for such a beautiful and intricate block, but the author also shows some beautiful simple quilting designs. I use it as a reference all the time.

Well, I have finished the inside of the quilt and am still stuck as to what to put in the uneven black inside border. I discovered I need to practice with the ruler from Renae, so that did not work. I ended up putting feathers around the arc and three even 'something like feathers' in the wedge, and a squiggly line in the black points, all in a charcoal grey. BUT I NEED SOMETHING TO PUT IN THE BLACK, PEOPLE!!!! Has no one ever had a quilt with this type of piecing before? It's like another border, except it's uneven. Come on all you talented, creative quilters, HELP! It can be a fill or whatever. No feathers or c hatching. It will definitely be in black thread. TIA.

Archived