New Marking Pens?

While at a quilt retreat I was introduced to a "new" marking pen that was being used to mark designs on fabric and then removing with the iron or hair blower. These pens are called Pilot Frixion pens are heat sensitive and come in an assortment of colors.

The ladies that had been using them said that they had tested the pens in several different ways to see if they could get the lines to re-appear after removing with heat. So far the lines have not come back. However, some of the reviews that I read online said that they come back when used on paper and placed in the freezer.

I purchased several different colors and am planning on using them on my own quilts for testing....so far they are wonderful....nice applicaiton on the fabric without bleeding, good fine line and the various colors show nicely.

I think you can get them at Staples, Amazon or possibly other buisness/stationary supply stores.

I was wondering if anyone here has used these pens and have had any adverse reactions with them?

Guest Linda S

They are Pilot FriXion pens and, yes, they will come back if exposed to very cold temperatures (less than 14*F). I tried washing them out with Synthrapol, etc., but they always came back. That said, I would most likely be willing to use these on some of my own projects. I did write to Pilot and they assured me that the ink is not acid based, so would not harm fabric, but they didn't recommend them for use on fabric.

We tried washing the fabric in regular detergent (haven't tried Orvus yet), and the marks did NOT come back. .. will try in quilt soap and see if we get same results... if it isn't washed out, and the quilt is sent to a show... in the cargo hold, at hight altitude and really cold temps, the marks will probably come back. I'm anxious to do more experimenting, and just might use it for a whole cloth.

Here is some information I found a couple months ago. I would be real hesitant about using these pens:

This was posted on Pam Holland's blog (pamhollanddesigns.typepad.com) on March 19th. It is something she received from Charlotte Warr Anderson. I don't think I would recommend or use these pens on fabric.

"ERASABLE PENS.

This is a post from Charlotte Warr Anderson this morning and I am sharing her post with you.

I thought I'd give you all a heads up about Frixion Erasable pens.

A student showed me hers at Road to California in January.

She drew a line, thin but quite black, and then ironed it and the line totally disappeared. It looked like the coolest thing ever!

So I went in search of these pens, which you can get a Staples.

I bought the pack that has three colors in it - black, red and blue.

Being quite the skeptic about things that are too good to be true, I read the back of the package. In small print it says:

"Do not expose to extreme temperatures (14degrees F;> 140 degrees F). If pen is exposed to temperature that reaches 140 degrees F the ink will be colorless when writing. To restore color, cool to at least 14 degrees F and the ink will again write in color."

Aha! I said to myself. If you iron the ink it's going to be way over 140 degrees so it's going to disappear. So I took some fabric and scribbled on it with all three colors. Then I ironed it and, sure enough, all the scribbles disappeared.

But then I put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and all the lines reappeared. I left it for about a week and a half while I went travelling and today I tried to wash the ink out. It didn't come out with soap and hard scrubbing and not even after I put rubbing alchohol on it. So then I ironed the piece dry and all the lines disappeared and then it went back to the freezer and all the lines reappeared (perhaps just a bit fainter).

This experiment was enough to persuade me that these pens are too good to be true and even sort of creepy - the ink is always there even if you can't see it. I wouldn't use them on any fabric or quilt you really cared about.

If I had a blog I would have put this on there but since I don't any of you who want to pass on what I've written can feel free to copy and paste this post

Charlotte

Charlotte Warr Andersen"

Sounds to me that unless you are in the habit of storing your quilts in the freezer, or using them in your igloo, you are OK using them to mark you quilts. To me, there is precious little difference between invisible and not there at all.

Guest Linda S

I forgot to say that if you hold your piece of fabric up to the light (after you've ironed the ink out), you can still see your scribbles. Just a little clear line, but it's still there. I doubt it ever goes away. I probably wouldn't hesitate to use them on a personal item that I intended to fill with threadwork, but otherwise, I'd hate to have a customer call me and tell me they were freezing in the wilderness and used their quilt and all these marks showed up on it! ;)

I have found what works for me even on white on white fabric. It is not instantaneous like a purple marker it takes time for the water to work. But it does work. And is affordable and last longer then a purple marker. You could mark a entire whole cloth with one pencil. I have never had to take a quilt with this mark on it out to the garage and power wash. It is now the only thing I will use, I have too many quilts with washout markers still in them. You do have to place a minimum order of $30 but that is not hard they have great price on needles, snippet scissors, magnetizer...

Here is the link

http://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=1%6036407&usscriteria=209.04&usssearchby=header

Melora

Archived