update on on-going vibration problem

I have had many, many months of vibration problems with my table and machine bouncing up and down while sewing. It has been such a problem. I lowered the truss in the center, I leveled and releveled so many times over the past year or so and adjusted my wheels and cross beams and cleaned and checked every little thing. I really thought it was the wheels, but decided they looked fine. Sooo.....I bought a laser level this morning and checked the length of my rails with that. I found my center truss was still way too tight and was raising the center of the table causing a bow in the length of my rails. I lowered it quite a bit and that was it. I put a practice piece on and no vibration. My control is much better and I can follow a line with little effort. I'm soooo happy about this. I have been hesitant to put my wholecloth on because of the intense vibration but now I'm confident I'll be able to do a good job.

I have a very long level, but I aparently needed the accuracy of a laser level.

Hope this helps somebody else with the same issue.

Jess

Hi Jess, thanks for the tip! I just set up my Freedom 2 weeks ago, and I also find I have a vibration. I don't have a laser level but will purchase one! Any thing special on the lazer level I should look for? And did you put the level on the top or side of the table?

Hi, Jess,

I had this exact problem with my Millie on the 14 foot table. It took me forever to find it. In fact, it was Myrna that told me to lower the truss bolts a LOT and it made a huge difference. Now I have the Freedom with the 12 foot table and don't have the issue.

Thanks Jess! I have been thinking of your vibration issue (you mentioned it a while back). I am SOOOOOO happy that you resolved this problem.

In fact... this remindes me!! :D I have a Home Depot gift card in my purse... I am going to stop by there at lunch and buy me a laser level. YES!!

I never had a tool box or a nice set of tools until I got my longarm machine. I guard my tool box carefully. SOMETIMES my husband will "borrow" one of my tools out of the box but through a couple of unfortunate experiences, he has discovered that I am very particular about "MY set of tools" and he promptly returns it when finished. (he learned that lesson the hard way...LOL!) :P

Karen,

I don't think there's anything special to look for. Just remember when you're shopping that its small...like 2 inches by 3 inches...not long like a regular level. I got a red and black Black and Decker.

My husband held it at one end of the rail and I stood at the other end with my finger against the rail so we could see the light. When the light on my finger lined up perfectly with the edge of the rail, I then moved to the middle of the rail where the truss is and put my finger up against the rail again to see if the light lined up the same way. The light shone lower than the edge of the rail, telling me the rail was bowed up in the middle and needed to be lowered.

If you get one and have trouble figuring this out, let me know and I will take pictures to make it more clear.

Jess

Jess, thanks for the details on how you tested with your laser level. I just bought my laser level (at lunch today) so I will use your method to check my table. I've never had any vibration, but I do notice a very slight difference in the movement of the carriage in the middle so I suspect it needs to be lowered a little bit.

Originally posted by jeri

MMM Will have to check the Father's Day sales today. I'm setting up a machine so it may just be handy.

LOL! :P I have to share....

I was at Home Depot on my lunch break and I had a very nice lady cashier when I paid for my new laser level. So after I paid for it, she asked me if I wanted a bag. I said "no thanks" then she asks me "is this a father's day gift" and I said "no, it's for me!" :P I think I could have knocked her over with a feather...

Thanks Jess, I think mine is as low as it will go. When I run the lazer light down the rail and focus it on the carriage of the machine, and then move the machine toward the light it seems to go under the machine as it gets to the middle of the frame which I think means that the far end where it started is lower than the other end. But the middle doesn't seem to be bowed...I think it is probably ok, just wanted to fine tune it if it could be better....

Hmmm....If the light is under the carriage only when its in the center of the table, I think your table is bowing up in the center even thought you can't see it with the naked eye. I wonder why you can't lower the truss any more? Hmmm. Maybe someone else will be able to give some good input.

Jess

I have an older table. The one with black square legs. It seems like my table is bowed a little but I don't know if there's anyway to fix it?

It is also slightly off from front to back. It has casters and wheels so it can be moved but nothing to level with.

Anyone out there have experience with this table? I need advice.

Archived