Keep my Voyager 17/Hinty or get Ult. 1??

Hi everyone, I have a question and would love some input. I have a Voyager 17/Hinty Stretch/SLR. I have seen ULT. 1's used for $4000-$5000. Would this be an upgrade for me, less that what I have now or the same??

I really do love my stitch regulator when doing ruler work etc. And I know I will never be able to get IQ or anything.

But I'd love a larger throat size.

I do about 2 customer quilts a week now. And some of mine, when I don't have someone else's on the frame.

Does the APQS frame have a belly bar?? How do you advance the quilt? Does it have ratchets or something else? Bending over advancing and loading is starting to really kill my back.

Thank you!! I love this forum and come here everyday to learn.

Amie in tn. :o)

About 5 years ago, I bought a used Ultimate I and my friend bought a new Voyager/Hinterberg setup. she spent a little less money on her setup, but there is a definate difference in the quality. Even though my machine is old (I just had it in for a tune-up and Amy looked up the manufacture date to be 1993) it still sews like a dream.

I've helped her out a few times load quilts onto her frame, and have to admit that loading them on my Ultimate I is SOOOO much easier and quicker. Plus, the quilting surface stays level on the Ultimate I due to the leveler bar in the back in addition to the take up roller. Adjustments are not needed to the frame as they are with the Hinterberg to keep the surface level. It improves the stitch quality and tension issues since you are always quilting on a flat surface. And, it is so much faster to just turn the cranks, advance the quilt, and keep going.

I am very happy with my used machine purchase, and I think for the money, you would be also.

My first machine was a Hinterberg set up. I did not do my research well before I purchased it. I do a lot of large quilts, most too large for the machine/frame. Some of them I was able to stitch half, take off, turn around and stitch the other half. A lot more work involved as well as trying to line things up. I purchased an Ultimate 2 non stitch regulated and loved it! Wished I would of purchased the U2 in the first place and avoided all the fustrations of buying a machine that did not fit my needs. Since then I have upgraded and progressed to an U1 stitch regulated and on to a Millennium. My suggestion to you is do your research and find the machine that fits your needs and possible future needs. Good Luck!

Amie,

I am selling my Lenni on a 10' frame. It is less than 3 yrs old and has only been used as a demo and a few teaching sessions. It has the SR, built in laser you can use both front and back, single stitch and needle positioner. I have just put the red snapper loading system on the rollers and it has castors on it that I would include if they are wanted.

I am in the Fl panhandle only 7-8 hours from you. I am asking $7500.00 for it.

Let me know if you are interested or want more info.

Hi Amie,

I too have a V17, w/SLR AND, I too am forever lurking around the APQS 'used machine forum' and there is no doubt the APQS machines are Cadillac's and we drive a VW (V17); I feel your pain GF!!! When I actually convince myself to do it, (there are so many used machines out there and at a great value) I talk myself out of it every time. I've decided that 1) I know my machine...do I really want to go back to the learning curve? new machine, new frame? 2) I have a stitch regulator, not IQ or anything close, I'm sure, but it does the job, and a good job, when the operator is paying attention anyway! Spending $10K on a SLR is out of the question for me so, while I could get an APQS or a Gammil machine, it would not have the SLR and I now that I have had it, I don't want to be without it! I do a lot of ruler work and I use it for pantos too. These are just my own arguments, I cannot find fault with my machine since Hinterberg replaced the original (2005 model) with a new one in 2008.

All due respect to those of you who own an APQS. I'm not ashamed to say, I cannot afford to spend that kind of money nor do I want to go into debt and worry about having enough business make the payments. As for bending over the frame...is your leader wide enough? If it were wider could you just unroll it closer to the belly bar? OR is it a height issue with the frame? It has adjustments. I dropped mine down a notch when my back was aching from reaching. Now, if anyone out there has Ult I or II with a SR, or a Freedom SR, with CQ for around $5,000. and you are within 1000 miles of Houston, call me right away!!! I have a cargo trailer!!!:D:D:D:D

Amie,

The UI is a great machine and can be retrofitted for any of the computer systems. I'll be pleasantly surprised on how much better the UI feels compared to the Voyager 17. You'll go, "wow", and you'll end up getting the UI. zeke................

I love my voyager!! I've had no problems at all.

A KIA??? Really?? I actually drive a Kia...I may be a little too trashy for this group,lol.

I'm just looking at a larger throat size and still keep my SR. I've seen the Lenni on here for sale for $6000. That is what I'm searching for

Then I'd have to sell my system too.

Thank you to everyone for helping me with this... Amie

Amie I never thought I would be able to afford a Millennium.....It was my dream machine. But I just kept watching the for sale ads here and came across one heck of a deal. I got a 2006 Millie with a lot of extras for $8500., after selling my stitch regulated U1, it was almost an even wash. So you see you can find some great deals here. Take your time and keep your eyes open. Good Luck!

Archived