First Quilt and Some Questions

I pieced two quilts for my grand daughters and am using them to get used to quilting on my Lenni. The first one is on and I am half way through it. Really pleased with how the machine is operating. I am learning by doing so, I do have a couple of questions.

The upper thread breaks of I move too fast doing the panto. Adjusting tension scares me, especially messing with the bobbin tension. If I loosen the upper tension I get clicks on the bottom quilting.

I have learned not to clip the threads after I pull up the bobbin thread until I have made a few stitches along the line of quilting!

I had loose thread on the bobbin side and it gummed up and stopped the stitching. I have it all straightened out but now the machine won't turn on. Probably a fuse problem. I am looking through the material sent with the machine to find out where the fuse is and how to replace it. I better get some spare fuses to have on hand.

I know this is all part of learning but it is a bit frustrating when everything is new and learning it all makes the project go so slowly.

I started with simple quilts for grand daughters because at 5 and 7 years old they will be happy with anything I make. Mistakes and learning quality work will not bother them.

Living well away from any teachers, you gals are my resource for figuring these things out. I can call the dealer who gave me the training but I hate to call her ALL the time with EVERY little thing.

the fuse is located where the power cord plugs into the machine head. you will need to unplug the machine, use a small screwdriver to slide the drawer open..then simply replace the fuse. there should be a spare inside the drawer.

also, make certain that the bobbin is inserted fully before stitching. if it is not, it can become a birds nest mess on the back side as you try to quilt.

Hi Sharon,

I'll see if I can give you a little bit of help. Here's a couple things to check....did you replace your needle? What size are you using? Most of the time I use a 4.0 and that seems to work really well for me. Have you checked your needle to make sure that you have it in correctly? What type of thread are you using on the top and the bottom? My "go to" thread combination is So Fine on top and Bottom Line in the bobbin and I rarely have any tension issues.

It sounds to me like your bobbin may be a bit too tight. Don't be afraid to mess with the tension. You will need to get over this fear because the more you quilt, the more you will learn the little tweeks that you need to do on each quilt. And then you will have the freedom to use some of the other beautiful threads that are on the market. Have you read any of the many posts on how to adjust your tension? Both Shana and Heidi have given really excellent step-by-step advice on how to do it and it really works.

Let us know if you are getting it figured out. Good luck, you can do this! ;)

:)

Another thing I do to test my top thread tension is, after I have ran the top thread through all of the guides, and the needle, I pull the thread slow and steady and look at my tension disk spring while pulling the thread. If the tension spring is approx hitting around 8:00 position that is pretty good. You can tighten a wee bit more, too, so it's hitting between 7:30 and 8:00.

I find that most problems people encounter are because their TOP tension NOT tight enough. Too loose of the top tension is the main headache causing loops on top and bottom. I try (in general) to use all three holes for my thread, and tighten up. If I get breaks, I reduce to two holes, but for the most part I always use the three holes. I find that the top tension seems to be better (and has more control) when using the three holes.

JMHO.

If you are using a top thread that is 100% cotton or thick, it might not glide so smoothly through the tension disk. If you get resistance go down to 2 holes. And/or slather on some Sewer's Aid. When you are at the last resort, remember that Sewer's Aid is your friend. I only use it as a last resort, and it does help a lot on cotton and rainbows. In fact, now that I have confidence in my top tensions, I rarely use Sewers aide on cotton or rainbows - I don't need to, but when I do need it, I use it.

Thanks for the comments and help. I use King Tut on the top and Sew Fine on the bottom. Gonna go find the fuse right now. Not getting the bobbin all the way in is what caused the snarl underneath for sure.

Learning by doing here,

Thanks again,

Sharon

Changed the needle in case it got bent or damaged when the machine bound up. The fellow at EE Schenk suggested that I try a 13.5 instead of a 14. He has a Milli and that is what he has found to be best.

Found and changed the fuse. I am going to take the old one to an auto supply store and try to find what kind itis and if I can find a local source to avoid shipping. Does anyone else do that?

Eased off the top tension..... so far so good. Will take some time later to check out your discussion link, Shana. Also do some experimentation with different settings on some scrap cloth.

I didn't realize I was going to become so mechanically inclined when I got Bella Rosa! I can do this if I just take it one step at a time and keep going back to it.

Originally posted by sharni

.......I didn't realize I was going to become so mechanically inclined when I got Bella Rosa! I can do this if I just take it one step at a time and keep going back to it.

Yep! :P Who knew??? I have become mighty handy with my set of screwdrivers and wrenches! And I am pretty proud of "MY" tool box, too.

Hi Sharon--if you are continuing with King Tut thread, you will need to use the larger needle--not a smaller one. It needs to be at least a 4.0. I am not sure what a 13.5 or 14 size compares to. I am glad you are coming (hopefully) to the Moxies next week--write down all your questions for instant answers!! Or at least instant opinions!!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by sharni

.......I didn't realize I was going to become so mechanically inclined when I got Bella Rosa! I can do this if I just take it one step at a time and keep going back to it.

Yep! :P Who knew??? I have become mighty handy with my set of screwdrivers and wrenches! And I am pretty proud of "MY" tool box, too.

I bought my own set of wrenches so I wouldn't have to "borrow" DH tools !!!! :P

Gread advice ladies and gents. Radio Shack is the best place to get your fuses (other than ordering them from APQS). They'll understand what you need. If you can quilt using King Tut you are well on your way to being a happy quilter. King Tut is a stubborn guy. Superior threads and this forum have lots of info on tension. I recommend you get a few extra bobbin cases and play. I give all my customers a few bobbin cases as a thank you gift, that way they don't have the be scared to turn the screw on the original. Keep those questions coming and it won't be long until you're giving us advice. Little hint on the bobbin, you should hear it "click" into place.

Archived