Barn Blocks ?

In looking up Sewers Aide I ran across this fantastic blog. This lady is a quilter and a photographer. She has collected the "barn blocks" photographed on barns and has them listed with the address where the picture was taken. She also has some quilts designed with the block designs she has collected. This must be a Wisconsin thing. Here in the far West I have see cattle brands on the barns but not blocks.

Here is the address. Don't know if this will work as a link.

http://cre8tivequilter.blogspot.com

Click on the tabs: Quilt Blocks on Barns, and The Quilt Block Trail

we have a county in SE MN that has at least 33 listed as a tour. It makes a great escape day to drive through and see them all. I've seen new ones in WI on my way to take kids to our camp 4 hours away too. It is just day brightening to look up and see them. Hubby wants to put a couple on the new (small) shed that we just got. I voted yes! One for him, and one for me.

if that's the same site- my favorite story was where she and 2 friends were driving around looking for all the barns and the friend in the back seat was feeling left out cause she wasn't spotting them as fast as the front seaters.

then she started pointing wildly out the window at one and it was a Purina Dog Food sign (red and white 9patch) on the side of a feed store....

There are lots of them here in Iowa.............my DH said he would get the board for me and hang it on the end of our machine shed, but I have to do the painting. A winter project, maybe. My friend did one for the end of their machine shed. I think they are neat !

There is a new building on our State Fair grounds in Des Moines and all around the upper edge there are different quilt blocks made from tiles and set into the brick of the building. Really neat ! Maybe I can find a picture somewhere.

My local quilt shop recently did a 2 day bus tour in NW Missouri/SW Iowa and as we were riding from the 1st shop to the 2nd there was a prize for the first person to locate the quilt block on the barn first. Not only was it fun to see the block, but the competition got fierce! One of the ladies tried to get away with the Purina feed sign, too. Very funny. Anyway, when we returned back to our "home" shop, the had put up a quilt block on the side of their building also. My brothers are building a new barn in Kansas and I'm trying to talk them into putting one on it. The jury is still out on that one.

Archived