why can't you just shoot 'em?

Oh Beth.....this has dread written all over it! Back when I was new at LA'ing I had someone bring me a skeleton quilt for her son that had a sheet for the backing...did I mention that the sheet actually had grease on it as well as if it had been under a car? You have to wonder what they are thinking?

Originally posted by CWBowser

I am not sure a shovel will be able to hand all the mistakes. I think we should take up a collection and buy a communal backhoe and share it!!!!

Oh I do agree. I have plenty of land to store it. ;)

I've gotten a bit picky after my last 2 awful quilts, hand pieced by a 90+ yo that I don't think could see very well --nothing was even close to straight, her stitches went from tiny to one inchers. Basically the quilting might hold them together., The only way to do this quilt right would have been to take it completly apart-re-cut everything and restitch. I felt sorry for her as her previous quilter refuses to accept her quilts any more. I won't either after those. My mantra is YOU CAN SAY NO. Those awful quilts can also be a detriment to your reputation especially if they are way off square.

I decided it's simply not worth my time to attempt to "fix" these awful quilts, they take lots more time and cause lots of aggravation. As most of you, my life is busy between a full time job, keeping up with my house includiing trying to remodel, the yard, keeping up with my girls and all the grand-kids, slowly getting established as a sales rep, quilting, starting as a fil-tec distributor, hopefully in the near future carrying additional long arm supplies.

I took a good look at my time and what I want to do with it. Wrestling with an awful quilt is no longer what I wish to do. Well off to finish ditching a beautifully pieced and the backing was perfect Irish chain variation. Hopefully I'll get the ditch done and off to the fun parts.

Vivian, that's what I decided....I'm a big girl now (62 romorrow) I should be able to say NO NO NO by now. I think that's a really hard thing to be able to do. On a break from ditching but must go back. Actually this quilt is a pleasure to work on but my neck said it needed a few minutes off. Can't wait till the ditch is done and I can play. I get bored with ditching but I like the look on many a quilt.

Originally posted by Lyn Heilman

Bonnie, You are a hoot! It's so nice to hear humorous ways to look at these PITA customers! I also charge $20 for any prep work. At least that way, I am a little less frustrated!

I beats sitting in the corner banging your head on the wall. On the serious...not all even realize what they are doing wrong. Without our guided hands and patients to get through to them they never will learn how to become better piecers. Just because someone can sew clothes does not make them good piecers. Some if my biggest PITAs were seamstresses.

Jeri, I'm with you, I have more constructive things to do with my time than to re-do someone else's piecing....especially if you have worked with her and she does not try to improve...I would call her and let her know that she needs to have her quilt returned to her for some repairs with some issues that will keep you from doing your best job, and if she would rather you do them, then quote her a price that you think would be worth your time. (In my experience, they would rather not pay it and you won't see her again).

It is easy to say NO to those PITA quilt tops from strangers, a bit difficult when it is your MIL. Her last quilt had the bottom edge at least 6 inches wider than the top edge and the middle was in several places at least 3 inches narrower than the top border, not to mention the seams that she failed to catch. Should I mention that I am doing the quilting and providing the batting, and attaching the binding all for FREE! One of the SIL does the handstitching of the binding and she moves on to her next quilt. She is making them faster than I can keep up what with tossing in a few customer quilts. (I have 6 of my own that need to be quilted). I do not try to fix the mistakes (too many to count), just quilt the best I can over and around, they are gifts for grandchildren when they marry, so fig they will just have to live with them.

AAHHH well, at least the piecing seems to give her some satisfaction, even if it provides me with some frustration.

Maybe you could in some kind diplomatic way tell the 90+ lady that these quilts would be better tied than quilted. It would save her from spending money on something that does not merit your time and frustration nor the expense she puts into the quilting. Sure it does not get you a job to do but with all of the frustrations do you really want to spend time on them when you could be quilting for another customer who's quilts give you joy when working on them.

Archived