why can't you just shoot 'em?

Barb I may take you up on that. I have decided to charge her $10 to trim it out (took less that 1/2 hour), but send it back if she does it again. She lives across town & it would be a PITA to get it back from her again, with no guarantee of improvement.

Oh, and did I mention, the top measures 70x71x72x73? No, of course not, because I EXPECTED that!

Ughhh! I get them, too and what a PITA. Yep, and they have been quilting for years, know everything about quilting (self-proclaimed) and can't understand why I charged them $20 an hour to fix the same things on each quilt. Usually it doesn't take me more than 1/2 hour, but the excuses get rather old.

I do the same as Jeri with the few PITA customers who can't sew a straight backing. Some I've lost (Boo hoo - not!) others have learned to improve or are willing to pay the price because '...it's so much easier for me to fix it than for them to get it right first time' !

So at least my time is covered even if it still frustrates me!

Why is it that the ones who "know everything about quilting" are the worst offenders??? I've had a few of those, too. One lady in our quilt group WILL NOT measure borders - just sews and whacks off at the end, leaving the elongated corners. To make it worse, she has her own HQ16 machine and should know better after trying to load one of those things. She still does it. I was glad she got her own machine and didn't ask me to do them any more. :)

What could they get you for? Aggravated Assault ? LOL

Charge! Charge! Charge! Your service is not free, every minute fixing something for free is lost income. Granted, I would have done it the first time, then let them know that I would charge them from now on and it would be $20 per hour. I'll say it again...I am so glad I quilt for myself now:D

You shouldn't fee bad about charging. Why plumbers, electricians and other service repair people usually tack on a fee just to drive out to your place...here it is about $90 just to come out before any repair is started!:o

Mea culpa. I am a beginner and mess up all the time, although I DO try to square things up before shipping them off. I welcome being told what I did wrong and expect to pay if my work needs to be fixed.

I often wonder if the quilts I pressed need to be repressed when I mail them to the quilt shop that has been doing my E to E.

That said, I am looking for someone to quilt my first quilt for which E to E will not be right. (That's all the shop does.) It could have E to E type work in the center but needs something different for the borders. Are any of you near Fresno or looking for work via mail?

Someone wrote a book called, "Mastering the Art of Precision Piecing". Can you imagine? After reading the first chapter, I put it down and broke out in a cold sweat. No one in their right mind would go to that extreme to match a seam, or even measure to make sure the borders fit. What is so difficult about measuring 6 inches, cutting 6 inches, and eyeballing it to fit? HUH???

Another thought: Do you think these quilters work in a cramped environment so that they have no room to lay things out to "see" their flaws? I once visited a "piecer" who worked in a trail system, her machine being in a tiny hole in the middle, surrounded by stacks of boxes, piles of fabric, and general chaos. Time to de-clutter and make room for a project wall I'd say.

Time is money. . .:)

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

Sheese you guys, all I do is get a large bottle of Brandy and after a while it looks pretty good to me! Grasshopper

That's what drove me to the shovel...I was getting to many and I was pulling out the bottle to much...decided it was better to bury than to be buzzed all the time.

What is wrong with thee? Let me count the ways.... I'm working on the second one by the same guy. Both have sheets for the backing. Okay, I can tolerate that, but am not thrilled. He has cut them down to size seemingly by trimming them with a pair of scissors, so straight edges weren't an option. On the first one, he actually put a seam down the back by piecing together the top of the sheet, but didn't trim off the fold. I'm supposed to quilt over about 6 layers of fabric? Oh, and the quilt tops are paper pieced and appliqued. Both are the same pattern, different color ways, and really quite lovely from a distance. I was supposed to use Rainbows on the first one, but it tends to be somewhat finicky for me, so I opted to substitute SF instead. Worked like a charm, zero thread breakage, and beautiful tension through the entire quilt.

I've just gotten the second one loaded, and found after I had loaded it that there is a small tear in the backing. Did I mention this sheet had been well used? Rather than attempt to hand stitch it closed, or anything else to put too much work into it, I spray basted a piece of muslin on the inside of the backing and will use that to hold things closed. Again, hack the sheet down to approximate size for the quilt top with his scissors, so there were not straight edges. Fingers crossed that I've got enough backing after all I took off to get it squared up. So far, the "worst" thing is that he actually sewed the binding strips on before bringing it to me. I'd never seen this done like this before, and I actually initially thought that this was a border that he had not pressed out before bringing me the quilt. Thank goodness I figured that out!

Since this is a new customer, I'm willing to cut him some slack, but we'll be having a little talk when he comes to pick up these two quilts.

Archived