Electric Stitch Eraser?

I have one and if you are going to try and remove seams rather than using a seam ripper, you have to be really, really careful because it will put a hole in your material in a heartbeat. Ask me how I know :(

I have used it carefully to remove embroidery stitches.

I guess there is really no short cuts in quilting to removing an entire row or a mofit if you find out you have sewn it out in the wrong spot... I will have to use my handy, dandy seam ripper. Yes, my true best friend whom, I have bonded with quite well with in quilting is my seam ripper. LOL :D:D:D:D

I spent part of yesterday frogging several rows of stitching on quite a large quilt. I used this tool http://www.havelssewing.com/seam-ripper-ultra-pro-18950.html and it went very quickly. I don't think that it could be used to take our stitching in the centre of a quilt, only in areas where it is possible to lift the top away from the batting.

Sue

Debi,

So far I haven't cut anything but there is always a first time! As I said it is important to be able to lift one fabric from the one under it. I also use it for unpicking seams when I am piecing. There are still times when I need my regular old seam ripper to get the seam started.

Sue

I just want to mention that skinning a quilt like our Bonnie B does, and using the scalpel-type stitch "remover", it is best as others have suggested, to lift the fabric and cut the stitches next to the batting, not the fabric. Best practice of all is to skin from the layer between the BACKER and the batting, not the top and the batting. Then if you accidentally nick the backer, repair is easier and less evident. Please don't ask me how I know this!:)

Originally posted by Linda G. Craig

I've done the skin method as well. This youtube demo might help you visualize how it's done.

I just watched the video. WOW! That looks alot easier than using a seam ripper to take out each stitch. Thanks for sharing.

I have a Wahl manufactured one. It is like a small mustache trimmer. I use it to skin my quilt when I need to "unsew" something. It is very quick and works like a charm. You do have to be careful because you can put a whole in your fabric if you aren't careful. I love mine. Mine is battery powered and cost about $15.

Archived