Quilting Demonstration at local Fair

Hi ladies, I have been asked to provide quilting demonstrations at our local fair, this is agreat opportunity for me as I can advertise my long arm quilting as well. I will be demonstrating very beginner methods from cutting out to sewing together and maybe to sandwichiing and finishing; this will be done using a domestic sewing machine. I will not be taking my "millie" to the fair. I am wondering if any of you have any advice for a simple fun demo. I think the demos will be about 45 min. long and will be spaced throughout the weekend; probably 5 or 6 demos altogether. Any suggestions or ideas for something basic but has wow factor? Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

I've never done anything like this, but I'll throw these out there for you to consider.

1. You could cut strips, make a rail fence block, making the middle block white, and have people sign the blocks to make a Quilt of Valor. Have some already sewn and ready to sign.

2. Do a "quilt as you go, flip and sew" crib size quilt, using large colorful strips.

3. Have some quilt sandwiches prepared as small table pads or something, and demonstrate free motion quilting (if you can still remember not to try and move the machine instead of the fabric -- ha). I have a hard time moving the fabric after quilting on a longarm.

4. If anyone you know does hand quilting, some people might like to see that.

5. Take some of your quilts done on the longarm and a picture of your machine. That would demonstrate all 3 forms of quilting -- domestic, longarm, hand -- oh, and maybe hand tied?

People might want to know the cost and length of time each type of quilting takes.

OK, I've drained my brain, someone else's turn.

Don't forget about applique. You could demonstrate different methods, like needle turn, machine, iron on. You could use one simple block, like a heart, large flower, or butterfly, and show the different ways of attaching them to the block.

Do you know what type of set up you will have available? Electricity available, how people will see what you are doing? I would decide on what to do based on your set up. You wouldn't want to demonstrate some fine technique unless you were sure the people could see it.

I like the idea of taking some quilts to show, some tops and plastic to show how different quilting patterns are different. You could also talk about different battings (pass out samples).

I also like the idea of putting something together that could become a charity quilt.

Our guild just had a booth at the county fair. We had quilts and blocks on display and did some hand appliqué. People stopped by and chatted and asked questions. I am not sure that we could have held their attention for a long time though as there was too much to see at the fair to spend much time in one area.

Sue

I would so something quick similar to demo for the 10-minute block. Quick, simple, and unique. Samples of various quilting methods would be interesting but doing them would be overwhelming. It's ususaly too hot and dirty at a fair to keep anyone's attention long. I like the idea of demonstrating quilting auditioning as it would give you an opportunity to show what you could do. I recently impressed an old girl friend that me and my machine could quilt like the hand quilters. Previously she had been strickly a hand-quilting-only-will-do person.

I agree, keep the actual doing very short and the entertaining very long. Have lots of quilted things to display which could include table runners, placemats, carry-all bags, vests..........after all quilting starts with a seed (all beit a weed that grows quickly out of control.) Perhaps have a sign up sheet and special rate for people wanting to take a quilting class from you (or your local quilt store). And quilt candy, stick your hand in the candy jar and pull one out; zero calories to boot....I love quilt candy!!! (6x6 fabric folded and folded, wrapped with your business label) This is an audience that needs to be visually captivated...Good luck and most of all have fun!

Donna

Thank you all for some really great ideas, I am sure I will be able to captivate the audience with your suggestions. I espescially like the idea of "quilt candy". The fair is not until August 24- 27. I will let you know how it goes and thank you again for some great suggestions.

Heather,

Something that I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that every time I have done the guild thing at the fair we have been asked about guilds. People are very interested as to whether there is a guild in their area and how they make contact. I don't know if you are in an area with lots of guilds but that is information you may wish to have available.

Sue

Hi Heather:

I would do strip pieced 9-patch blocks, then alternate with a quick 1/2 square triangle 9-patch block and then show how yet ANOTHER design is made. Those two blocks are easy to do and you can do the grid thing for the HST. I still think that's cool!

Archived