Hobbs Tuscany

Talk with Lyn Heilman. One of the Hobbs lines, maybe Tuscany, in the cotton...is not recommended for longarms. I had issues with some a customer brought. Stretchy and clingy and impossible to smooth out without tearing it. Really, I don't remember which kind it was, but when I emailed Lyn she said she didn't use it for longarming for the very same reason. When I called Hobbs customer service, they said "machine quilting" didn't mean longarm, so check before ordering.

Guest Linda S

If the difference is the fold, then it is highly worth it, although I like the loft of the Tuscany better. The regular Hobbs is rolled into those small bags and when you unroll it, it is often stretched and uneven. I won't buy the regular Hobbs 80/20 unless I'm buying the 30 yard roll.

Wow linda that is interesting. I get all of mine on rolls but had planned to order packages this time. Now I will have to rethink that. I had decided to go with packages to get a better mixture on sizes and types without spending so much at one time.

Stick with the rolls as Linda does. the packages can be very frustrating. the batting is not consistent as far as loft and I find wrinkles that do not come out in it. The rolls are wonderful. Now the bags of Tuscany wool have been great as well. Just love quilting with the Tuscany wool.

Marilyn

I agree stick with the rolls in Hobbs. I ONLY buy the rolls but have had many customers bring their own packaged and it doesn't seem to be the same. I recommend them not doing the packages because of the quality but some have been trying to use up what they already had. One thing that stand out is that they seem to have odd junctions where the batting has been pieced together. With the 80/20 I like their bleached over the natural color- works best when you have a quilt with lots of white and it seems to be more consistant.

When a customer would bring me a package that wouldn't fluff with an over night airing I would get the hand held steamer out and steam the batting. It actually makes the packaged batting softer and more manageable than the rolled stuff. With knowing this little trick I actually liked the quilting out come better so since have started buying packaged for my personal use. I do however have to agree that some packages do seem to have thin sports which does at times cause problems.

Archived