Feather Practice

Oh My Gawd, great work Deb:

How long have you been doing this?

Sherry's right, rise your prices:)

Kathy, Quilters-cafe...what on earth are "Geaudynsky-esque headband & bananas" sorry to sound dumb, but I have been reading this forum for 8 months & havn't a clue what you're talking about :o

Countrystitcher/Sharon - These are over the top feathers. I like the over the top style better than the traditional long arm feathers, but find the backtracking somewhat difficult. I did find last night that it was easier when I used a smaller stitch length with the SR on , or a faster speed in manual mode. I see you are from Iowa. Do you go to the long arm guild meetings at APQS?

Gerry - I learned to draw these feathers at Innovations. I've been drawing almost daily since then and this was my first attempt at stitching them. Can't you see this as an overall pattern on a quilt?? I'm thinking tonight I might try them in a larger area to get an idea of how to stitch them as an over all pattern. I'm also working on a wholecloth now where this kind of feather would probably look pretty good. Have you been practicing lots since Innovations??

Kathy - I'm not sure what you mean by Gaudynsky-esque headbands and bananas. I know what bananas are, but I'm not sure what headbands are. In any case, I was playing around with various background fillers around the feathers.

Linda Rech - How are you? Haven't talked to you since Innovations. If I remember correctly, you also learned how to draw these feathers at Innovations. They are so fun to draw and now to stitch. Have you tried them yet??

Debbi

Debi, I do belong to the long-arm guild in Des Moines, although I don't get there very often since it is an hour drive for me. But I always enjoy it when I get to come. Maybe I'll make an attempt in November and we can meet. I knew your feather had to be over-the-top. I'm still drawing and drawing and drawing. Getting ready to take a quilt off so think I'll throw some practice piece on and give it a try. Your feathers really are beautiful - just go for it! Sharon.

Hi again Debbi--

I have been drawing feathers since Innovations but have yet to stitch any. Maybe after the Christmas rush. Yours are beautiful and will be magnificent on a quilt!! Keep it up, girl!! Be sure to post some more pics.

(We shared a feathers class by Irena Bluhm at Innovations in September. Innovations is a machine quilting conference held yearly in Tacoma, Washington with lots of classes and vendors.)

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa.

• 2 weeks later...

Geraldine,

I tried to respond to the U2U you sent me, but I don't know how to do that either. :( Pretty pitiful. I pushed all the buttons that looked right, but nothing happened.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

I have taken two classes from Irena Bluhm. She is the sweetest, most charming person. Her feathers are wonderful. They are very much like Susanne Earley's feathers. Susanne wrote a book, and I acutally learned to make the feathers from it BEFORE I took Iren'a class. Susanne's book is excellent and has lots of all over designs.

Hugs, Joy

Wow!!!Guess whose class I'll be taking next year. those feathers are beutiful!!!! Joy, thanks for the information about Susanne's book. so much to learn. I sure am glad that everyoe is so willing to share information. It's what gives us newbies courage and inspiration to go on.

Archived