suggestions

Well, this is my first post. I have my new Freedom sitting in boxes in the basement since the room it will go in is not quite ready yet. I can hardly wait. It is scheduled to be set up on Sept. 1. I would appreciate any advice about how to set up my studio and tips and tricks for a rookie. My room is 11'6" by 14'6" so not a ton of space but I will be keeping my regular sewing room upstairs. Thanks for any advice and I'd love to see pictures of your studios!

Guest Linda S

On Conny! I feel your pain. My Liberty sat in the garage for about a week while I was finishing the drywall and painting in my studio, and then my brother decided that we really needed to refinish the floor before we assembled the machine!! I had to do as he wanted, because I needed him to help bring the machine in through the window -- I have a curved staircase and couldn't get the rails up the stairs. I just recently cleaned my studio, so I'll take some pics and post them later.

Oh - in the meanwhile, if you scroll down the page, you'll come to a forum that is about studios -- some folks have posted lovely pictures there.

Congrats on your new machine!

Welcome Conny!

I will assume you have a 12' or shorter table and will be placing it along the long wall?

Look closely at the wall space you have. Place the side of the machine that you think you will be working from in the configuration that will work best--back (panto/pattern board side) or front (freehand/stencil) side towards the wall. You can have your back to the wall or be facing the wall when you are stitching. Whichever you choose, realize that you will need access to tools and perhaps the phone on that side of the table with you. If you want to work from the back and opt to have your back to the wall, leave room for a small table/cabinet to hold your stuff. Those pattern ports work well (they span the rails and give you space for tools) but they are constantly being moved and if you max out the leaders, may need to be removed. If you opt to face the wall, there will be more room for your necessities on a table or cabinet next to or behind you. Lighting and outlets are another consideration when arranging.

But what fun you will have deciding!

Thanks so much for the suggestions, keep them coming! I do have a 12' table so I know the room will be tight. Your tips are awesome and are getting me thinking about how to situate the machine in the room but also storage for items that I will need. I hadn't even really thought that far. If anyone has pictures of great storage ideas, I would love to see them. I'm also loving the studio pictures. Some of those studios I just want to jump into and never leave. :)

Welcome Conny and congratulations. I have a small space which also has a large sewing cabinet as well as my cutting table and of course my Millie. I have lots of things stored in bins and drawers under my machine. I have my machine against a wall with just enough space to squeeze around the back when I need to. I hope one day to have a larger space but what I have now works OK. You will work out what is best for your space once you have used it for a while. I put casters on my machine and they came in useful when I decided that my original layout didn't work too well!

Happy quilting.

Sue

Connie I have just moved my machine for the third time in the same room, in the space of 3 1/2years. I now think I have it right.

If you have the motorised feed on your machine you will need a bit more room than the length of the table on one end for it.

I had my machine across the almost 14foot wide room and was able to get around one end of it, since I had to push it right up against the wall.

Enjoy it once you get it set up.

Lyn

How exciting for you, Conny! You are lucky to have a separate space for sewing -- that will help a lot. As far as organizing your quilting studio space, I find that I need some sort of high table nearby to the right of the front of the machine (I'm right-handed). I use it to put the tools, thread options, customer intake sheet, chalk pencils, etc., so they are close by and ready at hand when I quilt. Lighting is especially important -- don't scrimp there.

There are plenty of storage ideas out there. I went cheap and use the plastic rolling 3-drawer cabinets from Target or your local store. I have my thread, templates & rulers, golden threads paper & pantos, zippers, etc. in those and they do fit under your machine, if space is tight. Your batting and upcoming quilt tops/backs don't have to be in the same room, but can be. I have my batting in a chest of drawers and a closet, where my customer tops/backs are also hanging.

Best wishes!

Thanks everyone! Your encouragement and kind words are awesome. Sept. 1st just seems so far away. I feel like a kid counting sleeps. I think once I get the machine in I'll have a better idea of the remaining space. Keep the ideas coming!

Conny,

I found that if I have my back to the wall when working from the front of the machine (freehanding) it gives a little more room in the room. This is because the back of the machine juts out quite a bit when the head is moved all the way to the back to the leveler bar. I left only a couple feet to maneuver between the machine and the wall, leaving no room for a table behind me. However, I have mounted pegboard behind me and plastic drawer sets for thread and tools fit perfectly under the table on the freehand side. This also allows me to set tools I'm working with on top of the drawer sets, within easy reach as I'm working.

In other words, if you had the machine turned the other way so that the panto side was against the wall, you would need to leave even more space in order to do pantos or boards, which would leave less room to walk through the room.

At one time my sewing room was about the the same width, and when I pushed the head toward the front of the machine, it allowed enough room to walk by it, and even have a narrow table and bookshelf on the opposite side of the room. Hope this is clearer than mud!

Mary

I work from the front of the machine mostly, and my back is against the wall. I left two feet of room for myself. It would be nice to have a little more but this is very doable.

If you have carpeting, be sure to put those round carpet mover things under the legs of your table. Then you'll be able to move your machine easily if you need more wiggle room. Wish I had done that.

Jess

Archived