Have you ever tried.....

mamu

Have any of you ever had a quilt like this?

I have a friend that dropped off her quilt to be quilted. When I took it out to put on the frame, I noticed that she had used her serger to sew all of the seams.

One of the things that I found after loading it is that

1. the seams don't want to lay flat in one direction and wasn't ironed well anyway

2. the seams show the stitches with the slightest pull since they were all sewed with an overlock seam.

What to do???:o

What kind of quilting does she want? If you lay it out gently, without a lot of tension on the quilt...maybe float the top ...you shouldn't get the pulling of the seams to expose the stitching. Then, do an E to E or panto on it with a batting with some loft, and the seams going every which way shouldn't matter. If she wants custom, tell her the quilt construction isn't going to allow for that, and tell her the problems. If she still wants custom, tell her you can't do SID, and do the best you can. I'd talk to her about it UP FRONT before quilting, though, so she doesn't have expectations that aren't going to match what you are able to do. Good luck!

Lynn

Yes, I quilted someone's quilt that all the seams were serged. The quilt did not lay flat because the serger seams tend to pucker and it is too much thread in the seam. What could I do? Heck, I quilted it anyway. After quilting it, the quilt looked 100 times better than when I first got it. The gal was pleased with the results. I think they had a serger class at the Singer store where they taught people to serge the seams of the quilt. I guess they didn't know about the quilting of it, LOL! It did come out great looking. I quilted it somewhat tight and it laid down quite nicely. Good luck! It'll be great once it's quilted down.

I quilt for a lady that makes quilts for injured soldiers. She always serges them, doesn't seem to care if they are wonky and she can't remember to bring me backings that are bigger than the tops.

She also happens to be my sister's ex-motherinlaw....or as I call her 'the grandma of 2 of my nieces. She and I were both asked to make flowergirl dresses for our own GDs for one of the niece's wedding. If I had known she couldn't sew back then I would have offered to make both dresses.

It's like some people know HOW to do things they just don't care if they do them WELL.

Here's a picture of what the dresses should look like, floor length and sleeveless with a deep V in the back, wide sash and a bow. The other dress was for a 9 year old (plumper child). Short sleeves, tiny sash and knee length. She didn't even ask the bride if she could make alterations.

Guess this turned into a long post just to say: Some people just live in the own little worlds.

post--13461906985215_thumb.jpg

Archived