SID, the route to travel

I am sure I make this harder than need, but never seem happy with which route to take when I SID.

I am going to be starting a simple quilt of 8" finished square blocks, which every alternate block has an Appliqué inside.

I have been having fun with my Accuquilt Go appliqué dies :)

When you SID do your do all the vertical rows and roll the quilt and then go back and do the horizontal rows.? Or do you stitch in the ditch as you go ?

All advice on the best and neatest way to do this will be very much appreciated.

I like to SID around the blocks first because it stabilizes them and work my way to the end of the quilt, then roll back up to the top and quilt to my hearts desire.

At the same time, I also like to SID on the inner seam of the last border around the quilt to stabilize the whole quilt before I do all of the inner SID blocks. I do this as I advance it. If you don't and you just start SID on the blocks without keeping an eye on your edges your quilt can and usually will get wonky on you. If you stabilize the outside borders (not the edge of the quilt, but the next seam in) first then it keeps your quilt square and you can work in any puffiness and there won't be any surprises at the end. That doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it works.

I have worked down a quilt, rolled it back up and worked down it several times and then turned it and it seems to do fine when I stabilize that outside border.

Originally posted by KathG

Thanks everyone for your replies.

When I was talking about route, I was meaning more like when you quilt CC. Do you have a plan. I can get so far around the squares, but always seem to have to backtrack or break the thread and move the machine to the next part.

I'm not sure what you mean, Kath, when you said 'like when you quilt CC. Are you referring to continuous curve?

Not sure if this will help, but here is a SID path around blocks that I learned in one of Deloa Jones' classes.

post--1346190705654_thumb.jpg

I would just stitch a continuous line from left to right for step #2. I always use a thin thread for SID, either Bottom Line or Madeira MonoLon Clear, so there will not be thread buildup. I have heard that the rule-of-thumb is 4 layers of thread on top of each other, but perhaps that is outdated information.

Note: I only use the Madeira MonoLon for non-functional quilts, as I don't believe it is sturdy enough to hold up to repeated washings.

Joan, that is just what I wanted to hear:) thanks so much. I always felt that I was doing it wrong going back over previous stitching , but felt that it was better and neater to do that than having all the stops and starts.

Have you tried the WONDERFIL INVISAFIL thread, it is lovely for SID.

I do the SID first but usually go back in and fill before I roll forward. There are a few quilts where that isn't possible. If I have to roll and do all the SID first I always pin the snot out of the unquilted area and remove the pins only as I'm working on that section. Otherwise I find I end up with a pucker or pleat on the back.

Archived