Hanging a wall quilt

Command hooks are great and allow you to remove and replace them without holes in the walls.

They can support the dowel-and-string method or the slat method (where a flat slat is used instead of a dowel and the ends prop onto the inside of the hooks.)

My buddy uses a dowel and two fancy wooden brackets used to hold drapery threaded on a metal rod. They are permanent but have a shelf on top where she puts her Jim Shore quilted angel figurines. Very cute!

There is also a newer system using flat metal plates with magnets. They are placed on the wall and metal rods thread through the hanging sleeve. The metal rod is attracted to the magnets through the sleeve. This system makes the hanging float--no hardware showing--and switching out is easy and the hangings are very secure. Using an adjustable rod means any size hanging can be used. They also use Command hanging products so there is no damage to the wall and they remove easily.

Yes this is Stained Glass Garden---block of the month--by Sallie Biggs Pale. I was on vacation in Chama, NM and saw it so I joined the quilt shop's BOM. This was my first quilt. My mom would topstich the black bias as I completed each block and I handquilted the quilt. My mother was recovering from heart surgery and due to complications both legs were ampitated below the knee. She topstitched this quilt while wearing prothetics (I know that is spelled wrong). Sadly she passed away before I recieved the border and quilted it so she did not see the finished quilt. I am thinking about doing another Stained Glass quilt but concentrate on duplicating just the roses and the center.

Archived