With or without SR...

Do you quilt with or without SR?

Many have told me to push thru the learning curve that I'd really like quilting without SR. I've tried in the past, but not done very well and was satisfied with the SR. For some unknown reason, last night I tried without and really like it...but I stink at it (not that I am much better with SR). The head seems to move oh so much more freely...feels runaway in comparison.

I used to beat myself up for lack of progress in skill but know it takes practice of which I get very little, so I made several tops from "what was I thinking fabric" to PPP a bunch.

I have a practice quilt of all 4 1/2 blocks (used up a layer cake I wasn't so fond of) on to play with, but am having trouble not giving into my desire to rip out what I do...it looks so bad.

I can do it...I can do it...I can do it...I know I can. I have plenty to practice on...winter is coming...practice quilts won't be wasted...

Am I wasting my time trying to work thru not using the SR?

Anita

LOL! :) Don't worry too much about this. This is my humble opinion about SR...

SR is a "tool" and it is a "choice" or "option"

I use SR when I am doing ruler work, or if I am working in a block design that requires me to stop and stare a lot (I mean stop and start a lot) LOL! ;)

I actually love quilting without SR and do this mostly with pantographs from the back and freehand quilting e2e designs from the front. Not using SR is much faster freehanding from the front and much faster pantographs. Time is money too, so wherever you can shave off time, do it. I love quilting without SR for that reason alone!

So... there you have it. SR is an option to use when you wish to use it or need to use it. I don't use it all of the time but sure it's a nice choice to have available to me when I want it.

I'm with Shana....glad I have the SR when I need it. I use it for SID, ruler work and complex designs. Otherwise, I go sans-SR. It was a leap of faith at first, but I quickly adjusted. I find my feathers and small overall fills are much smoother without the SR. Go for it! ;)

Thanks Shana. I'm finding I like not using SR. Furtunately I only quilt for myself right now, so I just have to get over myself and work thru it. I gave up being a perfectionist a long time ago.

I know it takes time and practice no matter what tools you use...I've seen it in the work people show here on the forum over the years.

Anita

:) OK Anita, one thing I do when quilting WITHOUT SR is I turn my speed up high. I think the faster the needle speed, the smoother the curves and lines. So, what speed do you have your machine set at when you try without SR? I am normally between 13 and 15. Yup... all the way maxxed out to 15 when I am doing large meander and feathers. I love it! Try going a bit faster and see if that helps. Get into a rhythm moving (dancing) with the machine and needle speed. Soon you'll be partners waltzing along and making some beautiful shapes. :)

Right now it's set to 13. I tried different speeds last night and 13 feels good. I find I'm stopping too much when I oops big, but if I just keep going I do get feel a rythm sneak in there. :)

It's getting better all the time. Hmmm, isn't that a song?

What I'm hearing so far is that you'll find when SR works for you and when it doesn't.

I talked to Marilyn Badger about this issue at the Road to California show because certain quilters in my life were making me feel like a second-class citizen for not being "able to" quilt without the stitch regulator. She said "what's the big deal, why work without it when it makes your life (and your stitches) so much nicer!?! They probably don't use their stitch regulator because it's not very good but the Millennium's works so great it makes things easier."

So I quit worrying about it and just use the SR all the time. I say do whatever makes you happy and is the fastest for you and don't worry about what you're "supposed" to do.

Guest Linda S

Ladies, ladies, and (possibly) gentlemen! Never worry about what other quilters are doing. Do what you are most comfortable with. I use my stitch regulator almost all the time -- but then, I'm a custom quilter, I follow a line, I mark and I do stencils. I don't do a whole lot of freehanding. I use the machine without SR to do some background fills, but feathers are great with the SR on and my M&M wheels. I don't feel like a second class quilter. Let folks judge your quilting by your quilts and not by how you finish them.

Since I've been doing some free weight training and weight machine work in addition to my normal aerobic workout, I find I have greater control over moving the machine head, especially when moving the machine slowly around applique. Of course more quilting and more experience quilting those applique quilts helps too. :)

I love the way it moves without the SR. I just stink at it so far :-) I don't give up very easy but will see what improvement there is when I'm finished with this practice top. I may just find the SR is my tool of choice for most of the time.

Practice is the real problem...I just have to make time more often. And...I probably could use the weight training for control...the muscle tone is definitely fading. That was a good tip Debbie...wouldn't have thought of that.

Anita

I have gotten lazy and use the SR a lot. I used to be realy good without the SR but when I'm doing a customer quilt I want it to be good and that was the whole reason I bought my machine with an SR. I also usually gets lots of interuptions while I'm quilting so that gives me time to pause and deal with them. I find I have to tweak my tension when I go from SR to non-SR too.

Conversation from 1910:

"Oh Hettie, I can't believe you are using that new-fangled machine to put together your patchwork. If you can't do a good job hand-stitching your fabric together, you should be ashamed that you need a machine to make you look good."

Conversation from 1968:

"Dear Darla, don't you know if you don't hand-quilt your quilts people will think you are just lazy?"

Conversation from 2011:

" My dear, if you can't use your machine without the stitch regulator as a crutch, we will think you don't have talent."

Just thought I would insert a bit of perspective into this thread!!

And yes, I use my SR almost exclusively!:P

Ah, yes, I was one of those that thought using a machine to quilt was just wrong (that was in the 70s)...but I haven't regretted one minute using all the tools I can afford. :P

I'm glad you said that about the tension adjustment, Heidi. I noticed it was easier to get balanced tension and it seems more forgiving without the SR, but thought it was my imagination or dumb luck.

Awesome to have validation whichever way I find to be "right for me".

The talent will have to come with time invested.

When I tented machines, I always had non regulated machines to use. After I got my Millie, I was thrilled with the SR, now I use it almost all the time, I think for piece of mind more than any other reason. I can still stitch without it but for me it's just great knowing I don't have to "time" my movements. I certainly agree the machine moves smoother without SR. Linda, I knew it was you as soon as I started reading your post:P thanks for always helping with a smile!!!

I love working on practice pieces without the SR - but for customer quilts I use the SR. Many people come to me since they just love the quality of the stitch on the quilts they have seen me do for others - so really don't want to mess wit what's working so well. Do love the smothness of the manual mode though and can use it if I run into an SR problem (which is very rare but has happened in the past).

Archived