Wholesale fabric?

Does anyone use their business license to buy fabric at wholesale prices? Is there a way to buy wholesale fabric in small yardages, instead of whole 15 yd bolts?

I just started researching this idea and it seems like fabric companies want customers who would buy over 100 bolts per year.

Which makes sense for quilt stores, but how about longarmers?

Hi Anne.

I sell fabric to my customers all the time - I started by advertising it for quilt backs (although I stick with 44" width and offer to piece their backs at a nominal charge). I use my license to buy fabrics at wholesale distributors, and always have to buy the bolt - sometimees it is a smaller bolt if it is the 'end of the bolt' (i.e. 7 yards). However, I've never come across a minimum of such proportion! Some distributors (i.e. Checkers) has a yearly minimum of $1300 and some don't have any. 100 bolts it just too much - I'd stay clear of those.

All in all, it is great way to make some extra cash and I've never had a problem selling it. Especially if you start cutting it up into fat quarters! I also stick with tone on tones which is easier to sell.

I hope others will chime in here. Once in awhile I would be willing to buy 1/2 a bolt (split it with someone near or shipping would ruin the deal). It does make for nice quilt backs when you can get it wholesale or get last years fabric at cost. I make lots of T-shirt quilts and good fabric and low prices surely help my bottom line.

Guest Linda S

I do occasionally buy fabric at wholesale, but I do buy the whole bolt (usually 15 yards). If I can get a really good deal, I buy bolts of wide backings. Otherwise, I buy the FatBacks from Christian Lane Quilters (perfect size for Queen sized quilts and no piecing -- lots more cost effective too). I buy fabric a lot from the LQS -- mostly because I'd like them to still be there when I need something in an emergency. Since I'm a Moda addict, I'll often haunt the Hancocks of Paducah Websales when I want significant yardage at a reduced price.

I buy most of my fabric direct from Moda, along with needles, thread, stablizers, etc. I think the yearly requirment with them is $1000. I buy mostly Moda Marbles, and keep them in stock. When my customers need a matching fabric, I usually have a Marble that will blend, since there aren't any quilt shops in my area. 12-15 yard bolts.

Archived