Advise for de-yellowing vintage quilt top

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a GFG on eBay so that I could practice on my long arm. It is in very good condition stitch wise but it is discolored from age. Do you have any tips for trying to get the yellow out of the quilt....should I only launder after I have finished quilting or is it ok to work on it when it is just a quilt top. I did not pay too much for it but I would love to make it look white again;)

Quilt it first. If there are any fabrics on the quilt that you think may bleed, test by wetting a piece of wet white cotton and rubbing it on that fabric. Check to see it bleeding out a lot of color. A friend who is an antique dealer soaks all her yellowed linens in a solution of BIZ and cool water. Very gentle wash cycle, cold water , Repeat if necessary. I would include a handful of Color Catchers in the BIZ solution as well. Rinse and lay flat to dry. Good luck, and hope you post pictures when it's finished.

BTW, I have used this method on a quilt, and it turned out fine.

I personally would not quilt it first. There is a product called Vintage Textile Soak..I found some on ebay.. but there are a number of recipes you can make yourself. Just do a search on "vintage linen soak" and a bunch of them will come up.

Since you don't know how the other fabrics will react, I wouldn't go to the work of quilting beforehand. If the top fades or is damaged by the soaking process, you are only out the price of the top, not the cost of batting and backing too.

Thanks everyone,

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. I may try the Biz first or the advise from Lynn...I did receive a "special" cleaning solution with one of my other eBay tops. Maybe that will work.

sew happy...I was just in Bozeman last month on tour with the Air Force Band...did you happen to go to the concert?

Archived