Stitch definition on fleece....

http://www.j-quilts.co.uk/blog.html

Hope the link works. (Sorry I am lazy about resizing my photograph)

I was just quilting a sample out on some fleece doubling up as a throw, and was disappointed that my bright green thread did not show up.

I used my longest stitch length (7) and loosened up the tension but the stitches are completely invisible.

Has anyone any answers how to make the stitches show the next time I want to use fleece? I didn't use wadding, do you think this may have helped?

Hi Heidi,

Thanks..... I would normally use the same colour, but this time I wanted a bit more oomph than the same colour, although I may aswell have used invisible thread..... although it looks great and the quilt definition is good, I have a cushion with pink and green which is why I wanted the brighter green to show up, but never mind, it was just an experiment.

And as for quick gifts, it only took an hour to quilt......

Yes that is a good idea, although now I have bought it home, I quite like it on my home sofa too..... there is no green here... LOL. Gotta take it back to my studio though as the idea was that it be a sample of the panto too. Maybe I'll do another one for home too. My DH has already suggested I make one for his step mum for christmas.

I had the same thing happen to me on a customer quilt recently, Janette. We spent several minutes trying out several colors of thread, before settling on one, and then it didn't show at all! It was a flannel quilt with Quilters Dream Puff batting. The texture was fantastic, but you certainly could not see the thread color. I guess maybe a thicker thread, like King Tut or Superior Thread's 'Brytes' (30 wt. by Caryl Bryer Fallert) might help. It sounds like you had the right idea with making the stitches longer. What thread did you use? I realize now from my experience, that the thread choice doesn't matter much when using Quilters Dream Puff batting/wadding.

Yes it is nice definition with the fleece thanks, and yes I have been busy, and am finally getting there with my carriage too. In fact this panto was really smooth running with the edgeriders.

I have just checked your new blog out too Judy, I love that fairy quilt, and your quilting.

Hi Janette,

You fleece quilt is beautiful! I've done a few fleece quilts and I find it's more about showcasing the quilting design, and not the stitching or thread. I use double layers of fleece, and Vivian Love's tutorial.

http://quiltswithlove.blogspot.com/2007/08/purse-dog-wants-to-share.html

She fringes all her fleece throws. I think they are a lot of fun to quilt! Especially with panto designs.

here is a link to some I've done as gifts:

https://picasaweb.google.com/angiekiker/FleeceQuilts?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I don't think there is anything you could have done to make the stitching show. Its just the nature of fleece. The stitches squish the fabric together tightly, then the surrounding fabric puffs up and covers over the stitching. I doubt a thicker thread would have mattered.

Janette your fleece throw looks great! I love practicing my feather by quilting on fleece and then I gives those as gifts. Just gave one away as a baby shower gift. Don't know how to make the threads show on fleece but if you could find a thinner fleece that might help. I don't use batting in my fleece throws, I like how soft and cuddly they are without the batting.

Originally posted by Tamarack

Janette your fleece throw looks great! I love practicing my feather by quilting on fleece and then I gives those as gifts. Just gave one away as a baby shower gift. Don't know how to make the threads show on fleece but if you could find a thinner fleece that might help. I don't use batting in my fleece throws, I like how soft and cuddly they are without the batting.

That is a great idea to practice feathers, no backtracking would be visible on fleece either, I like the feel of the fleece too without the batting.

Love your blog BTW - I check in regularly.

Originally posted by connieb

Love all your quilts on your blog. You do wonderful work. I see a couple of gotta get pantos now too. Thank you all for sharing your blogs they were fun to visit and now I have to many more ideas of things "to do".:)

Thanks Connie...... I love visiting other peoples blogs too, there are so many inspirational quilts out there aren't there?

Originally posted by Ardelle Kerr

I do not think there is any way to see the thread and still have a balanced tension, that is the nature of fleece! Great design, is it a panto or freehand??

PS. I know the feeling about re-sizing pictures for this forum....

Freehand? I wish LOL.... no it is a new panto I have just bought called Alfresco and I love it - it quilted up so quickly.

As for resizing - well I am just being lazy (well busy ....)

Archived