Batting help!!! Please

I have a customer who wants a higher loft batting (def. not warm and natural) and doesn't want poly. Most of the time I use Hobbs 80/20 but am out right now. I have a Tuscany Collection 100% wool batting, very nice, but, the instructions caution about using on dark colors. The quilt top is black and white, and the back is a black and white print, mostly black.

Sooo, would you use the wool batting for this? The loft is right, I think, but will the batting beard and show on the black? I've never used wool batting before, so don't have any idea how this is going to behave. Is the wool batting a pain to take care of after the quilting is done?

I love wool for the ease of quilting and the stitch definition.

I didn't have bearding with the last one I used, but the shedding was bad--whole strands magically appearing on top. Mostly I assume from contact with the uncovered parts of the batting and transference through handling. I never had any strands coming through the fabric. I used a lint roller with every pass and warned my customer that she would need to do clean-up after she put on the binding. It did have black fabrics in the piecing and a dark border, so the strands were very obvious and easy to pick up.

Take extra care to get the join between your top thread and your bottom thread to land in the middle of the quilt sandwich.

I wasn't aware that there was a warning on Tuscany wool about using on dark fabrics. I've used wool a lot (Hobbs and Quilters Dream) and haven't noticed any problems. Pure cotton batts give more more problems than wool.

Archived