SID- When?

I'm not sure of the answer to this as I've been told 2 differing opinions, so any input here would be appreciated. When is the best time to stitch in the ditch? Before the bulk of the quilting gets done or after, and why? (Just want to clarify this point for my own use)

Thanks in advance for your advice on this one:)

I do SID around blocks, sashing and borders first, as a way to stabilize the quilt. Then I go back and do the quilting inside the blocks. If there is any SID to be done, I do it first. For example, if you SID around the outside petals of a block, the batting loft will be locked into the center of the flower, so when you quilt any decoration on the petals, it will be puffier. If you quilted the petal decoration first, and then the SID, the loft would not be as high.

Hope that helps.:)

I always do the SID first. It nails the blocks in place and then if there is fullness I would use a fill that will allow me to work it in. The order of my stitching is SID blocks, SID border, fill block, fill border, roll. I try not to roll back and forth. If it is absolutely necessary I will pin the snot out of the unquilted areas so that I don't end up with puckers.

I used to always do it first and will if I think it will help with a problemed area. I found the more dense I quilt I like to do it last so the dense quilting doesn't draw the SID out from the seams. Same for my applique. I sometimes do it last so I can get the stitches right up against without stitching over it. Again I quilt everything to death. I like to quilt that way.

I am a pin baster too. Can't help myself. I always heavily pin baste before putting a stitch in. I find that doing this helps me find any problems if any. Also I tend to MOVE around alot if I Get too bored with something.

You will discover what works best for you in time.

Heidi when you say you do not roll back and forth, are you saying you SID the area available and then fill the block/border, then roll to the next area ?

Originally posted by hmerrill

I always do the SID first. It nails the blocks in place and then if there is fullness I would use a fill that will allow me to work it in. The order of my stitching is SID blocks, SID border, fill block, fill border, roll. I try not to roll back and forth. If it is absolutely necessary I will pin the snot out of the unquilted areas so that I don't end up with puckers.

Most often first from top to bottom so I can move back and forth and change threads in read as I need. However sometimes I do the custom quilting first and then decide it needs the extra stablizer so then SID. It's whatever oks best for you. No right or wrong answer. :cool:

Julie,

You don't need to SID a quilt if you are only going to put a panto or do an edge 2 edge design on it.

ie When you are quilting over the blocks, sassings and borders without any regard to them you don't need to SID.

The SID is more for when you are doing custom quilting , where you are treating each block individually, sashing or a border as a separate unit.

It is more time intensive (costly) so th average customer is notwilling topay for you to do this.

If a quilt is going to be entered in a show ( judged) then the SID and custom quilting would be more necessary to highlight the quilts better.

SID however and whenever you want to. Practice it with different threads. You will find what works for you. I usually leave borders for last so I SID the border seam as I go. If there is a lot of wonkiness in the body of the quilt, I also am a prolific pinner. Once it's all stable, whether from pins or stitching, you will be ready to stitch the blocks.

Soap box moment...

SID if you are being paid for it. Don't if you're not.

Let me clarify--if your customer wants each block quilted, sashings separately done, borders with special designs, etc.--that elevates the density and complexity of the quilting and thus the cost as well. SID is called for in this quilting plan and however you decide to accomplish it, it should be charged for.

If your customer has a budget that doesn't allow this custom treatment, you can still do separate designs in special areas and charge a lower price. But don't SID just because you think it needs it/will look better with it/you need the practice/what-the-heck I'll just do it this one time. Stop. Don't. You will raise expectations and spoil your customers as you slowly and painfully discover that your hourly rate is below minimum wage.

Watch me step down from the soap box now........;)

Archived