looking for ruler mate with OR w/o thread cutter...

So, is it really necessary to have a different Ruler Mate if you removed your thread cutter, I've been looking at mine and wondered why?

I can see it's necessary to have the Ruler Mate especially for a machine WITH the thread cutter as you need the cut out on the back but wouldn't the cut out still just be there...... or have I just thought this through while writing, would the cut out catch on the quilt top.....is that right?

Originally posted by Borderline Quilter

So, is it really necessary to have a different Ruler Mate if you removed your thread cutter, I've been looking at mine and wondered why?

I can see it's necessary to have the Ruler Mate especially for a machine WITH the thread cutter as you need the cut out on the back but wouldn't the cut out still just be there...... or have I just thought this through while writing, the cut out would catch on the quilt top....duh....is that right?

I was wondering the same thing, Kay. I know the Rulermates are machine-specific, but the plain, no-thread cutter model is still supported by two screws and is firm and stable on the narrower needleplate space.

Someone should give it a try before buying a new base. Dennis looked at my Rulermate with the threadcutter cut-out and said he couldn't see why it wouldn't work with the thread cutter removed.

The quilt wouldn't catch on the cutout since it lays on top of the base.

Watch this space as I, ( with the help of Kath G) have been fitting a DIY 'panto cam', I am at the moment quilting the huge kingsize comforter from the front with my home made surveilance camera/monitor set up, hope to have the quilt finished tomorrow then I'll take my ruler mate off and remove my thread cutter! We'll then see, I can always put said thread cutter back on again if necessary????

Hi ladies, I have a question regarding the ruler mate w/ thread cutter that I recently purchased used. When I put it on my machine (Millennium) the needle hole is not centered on my needle, so I'm afraid to use it for fear I'll hit the side of the plate if the needle flexes. Is this normal, or do you have any sugguestions on what might be the problem. Thanks Tonia

My RulerMate has some "play" in the screw holes. Mine is on all the time, but when I first installed it, I just lined it up for the needle hole and then tightened the screws.

I'm also looking for a second base for my other Millennium WITH thread cutter. Can't quite figure out why people are removing their thread cutters. :o

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

My RulerMate has some "play" in the screw holes. Mine is on all the time, but when I first installed it, I just lined it up for the needle hole and then tightened the screws.

I'm also looking for a second base for my other Millennium WITH thread cutter. Can't quite figure out why people are removing their thread cutters. :o

Me either, but some have said they removed them because they weren't using it and didn't like pushing around the extra weight. Crazy I'm thinking. Also thinking I like it all balanced.

Hi Bonnie,

I figure I paid for it, so I use it; not all the time, but when I need it, it's there. As for the weight? Has anyone ever weighed one? Maybe I should remove my back handles too, since I never use them??

Our machines literally "glide" on the new M&M wheels and especially on the new Bliss track system. I don't think removing the thread cutter is going to make ANY difference in the feel of the machine, IMHO.

Before there was such a thing as an extended base (yes, I've been around that long!:P), I was very thankful I had it for SID work!

MANY THANKS to Sherry Rogers-Harrison for developing the first ever Extended Base! That tool revolutionized the industry, at least for those of us that were venturing out into custom quilting.

If I decided to remove my thread cutter it is only because I've just added a DIY Panto Cam/tension nanny on the front of my machine and a power pack to the back. All no drill so when necessary, as in when I have saved my pennies for IQ/Compuquilter then I can take it all off again. I was thinking that taking off the thread cutter would even out the weight I have just added, I could feel the difference at first but have now got used to the feel again.

I have to agree that there is no need to remove the thread cutter from a blissed machine as it glides so smoothly, mine still does and having thought this through a little longer, I have realised that the only thing I would gain is reducing the weight a little (5 lbs apparently), I would never be able to use my Hartley base again so maybe I'll just keep my thread cutter a while longer. I do like the RulerMate best of both my extended bases though!

I did remove my thread cutter about 2 yrs ago. For me, weight WAS an issue. That thing weighs like 5 lbs i swear!

Also, I bring up all my thread to the top for everything, so I had no use for it at all. Why drag it around when you dont have to? That was my personal opinon, and i'm sticking to it! LOL!!

I removed my thread cutter because I didn't use it and the back of the plate caused drag and caught on my zippers and Red Snappers. I have a Hartley Base and my husband cut a piece of plastic to fill up the spot where the removal of the thread cutter plate left void. I didn't notice the weight at all and think it weighed under two pounds. Of course, when the base is off; I don't need the plastic. I love not having that thing dragging anymore.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

if you raise the take up bar...the base doesn't hit the zippers or bar.

I am going to take my base off frogger and try it on toad. I will report back if the base with cutter will fit on the machine without a cutter.

I'm agreeing with Kristina....way easier to raise than to take off.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Rumy

Hi ladies, I have a question regarding the ruler mate w/ thread cutter that I recently purchased used. When I put it on my machine (Millennium) the needle hole is not centered on my needle, so I'm afraid to use it for fear I'll hit the side of the plate if the needle flexes. Is this normal, or do you have any sugguestions on what might be the problem. Thanks Tonia

mine isn't centered either. it was one of my first accessory purchases and i was too novice to notice it when i got it. so, i used it as it was, never giving it a thought. i have never had a problem. it's not off by much - just a smidge or two.

my problem is i can never get it tight enough and it makes a noise. but i'm used to the noise now and LOVE my rulermate base. i only take it off for thorough cleanings. ;)

Archived