Am I the only one who...

I really appreciate all the input on this. I too have felt a bit 'alone' out there when it comes to all the new gadgets and computers. I LOVE quilting with my Liberty but do feel at times that I may be behind the times, so to speak. Like many of you said, quilting is an art, however it is done. I love that it is an expression of myself and I don't have to compete with all the new things out there....it's whatever makes your life easier.....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Linda for stating that having Intelliquilter is NOT just pushing a button and watching it work. If that was all it took I would not be taking Suzanne Moreno's 35 hr. online IQ training class after having it for almost a year. Computerization is just a different way to express your creativity. This could almost become like the debate that raged for years over stay-at-home moms vs. working moms. We're all moms (quilters). Do what works best for you, what you enjoy! We need to support and encourage each other. I know oodles of women who literally cannot sew on a button!

I have a compuquilter on my Millie and love it! I do say that just because you have a computerized machine doesn't mean you don't have to "know" your machine as well. I ran my machine noncomputer for 3 years before investing and am a better longarmer for it. It made me learn all about how my machine moves and what it can do. I couldn't afford to go to a bigger show to take classes, as timing just wasn't right, due to family obligations. I did buy a few videos, but those are like watching disney's fantasia, and I always end up sleeping through most of it... I would say that the school of hard knocks is the best way to learn and just know what to do with what you have. I was recently at a retreat and their beds were covered with the most beautiful quilts. Most of them were stippled. There were several comments on that fact.... that simple quilting was the best answer for them and it worked so well and was so beautiful! Love your art no matter how you do it! and you will be happier in whatever you do!

Carol :)

Pittsburgh, PA

Great thread, thank you for starting it. I don't have bliss but I do have and IQ which I love. I bought every gadget in the world during my first year or two of quilting which cost thousands of dollars (those CL long boards add up fast). I work a fairly stressful day job 40 or more hours a week. I was an ok free motion quilter but wasn't getting good enough for my perfectionist attitude. Don't even ask me about feather challenged. I love quilting and it's a great stress relief after a long day at work so I decided to get the IQ instead of adding to my stress. I wish, I had realized that I would save money by getting IQ earlier and not all the other gadgets. With that, I do believe that you should do free motion prior to purchasing a computer system. You will understand what the computer is doing as it sews. I also believe you should still practice and do some free motion after getting the computer, you will be a better all around professional.

I have to disagree that computerized quilting is not your own work? I still have to load/unload the quilt, pick out the patterns, design the quilt, line up the computer, check the tension, take classes, keep up with updates (free with IQ) troubleshoot when things go wrong, etc.

Robin, you go girl and thanks again for this thread.

I have an older Ultimate 11..no gadgets,bells or whistles. Mine is paid for and I dont want to go into 12,000 debt either just to have the extras. I have a really short ruler for straight lines...so I dont have the gadget for that.

Guess if there is something I want to do..I find a way to do it without all the extras. But I am not a gadet girl...even in the kitchen...I have never wanted all that stuff. We each march to a different drummer and what works for us is great.

thanks for the starting this thread as I have often felt the same...now we are out of the closet!!!

Great thread. I also am computerized but was definite that free motion needed to be learned first. I am glad I felt that way because I love to quilt - free motion (my present quilt) and computerized (major learning curve and definitely not a push a button, let it run process). The computer makes things I can't do as well look better but it is a definite learning process to learn how to quilt with a computerized system. I have taken many classes and purchased several rulers - have loved most of my classes and love some of my rulers - I can count on one hand my most used and loved rulers. Other than a simple panto I can't think of a quilt I have done that even with owning a computer, at least part of every quilt has been done free-motion. Because I am always incorporating free motion with my computer, my free motion continues to improve which goes back to the old saying of all long-armers ............ PPP!!! I have also learned that I kind of like my little mistakes here and there - if they are small and I know it is not a show quilt - leave them in - makes the quilt more personal.

What I find more important than owning a computer & having a billion tools is having ones machine set up to run it's very best and enjoying the process of taking something flat and impersonal to something with life and texture. I found it difficult to handle the Millie for many quilting techniques. I added the Bliss system and it has made all the difference in the world for me - without Bliss, I am sure I would have sold the machine (just me). I did have edgeriders, but they didn't solve my quilting issues. Having a few great tools that I absolutely love is more important than buying everything that comes on the market - one of my very favorite tools is the Marvey Marker. Sometimes it is easier for me to mark/draw what I want to do and follow the lines instead of just 'going for it. The marks always fade away. Threads are another factor I am careful with. Some threads work better with a combination of fabric/batting/backing than others - having a good selection of threads means that if one isn't working like it should - try another - I always find a combination that works. Finally, for me, I have learned that every project takes a bit longer than I originally plan so I have learned to relax, enjoy and watch the quilt take life.

We all need to find our comfort level of quilting - some need to do show quilts, some never piece and only do customer quilts, some only do pantos, some do only computer quilting, some do only free-motion - whatever you do, no matter what machine or tools you use, the end goal is a beautiful quilt to enjoy looking at or snuggling up in for an afternoon nap.

I do not have IQ and I don't want one right now, however, I will not say that I will never get one because I said that I wouldn't get a long arm and I now own a Freedom and love it. I also do not have a lot of gadgets, I have long admired a local quilters work and the advice that she gave me was that in order to use any gadget you first have to be able to use the LA. She said that she bought everything she could and then realized that she only used a few of them and that when you buy something try to make it do double or triple duty. I only buy something new with money made from quilting and I just have FUN! I love dancing with the machine and even though I have a lot to learn and would love to take some classes with a few of my favorites and you guys on here make me want to keep on going. I did go to Iowa and took classes with Dawn and I will say that I loved it and refer back to her packets often. I LOVE this forum and the fact that you can vent and get incouragement and advice all the time. With that I will say to everyone KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!! Love ya all:P

Archived