Am I the only one who...

is not planning to invest her life savings into a computerized system? Or the new "Bliss" or whatever?

Is there anyone out there that still does this the old fashioned way, through practice?

I guess I'm feeling a little isolated and depressed because I have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on the various and sundry gadgets and gizmos, only to get them home and realize I have no idea the best way to use them?

I've gone through the Circle Lord, did pretty well with the long boards but those step things....not so much... bought Renae's Amazing Rays (got one too big and have literally NEVER used it...don't know how..., a boatload of rulers, stencils, and some DVD's. The only thing I've really mastered is pantos and a few freehand designs. I can SID with the best of them and I can do some feather designs (still trying to figure out Jamie Wallen's Flurry of Angels and that's OLD!) but I don't have time or money to travel the country and take classes. There is not enough (sometimes NO) instructions on how to make the best use of all this stuff and I find myself defaulting to the same old stuff.

I don't have time to piece dozens of quilts just for practice and when I try something on a customer quilt (like the Celtic Knot thing) I spend sooooo much time on it that I'm just losing money.

Thanks for letting me whine. I just tried out a new ruler I got after watching Ronda do it on The Quilt Show and it looks so easy that I just bought it and NOW WHAT???

I just can't afford another $20 Grand for yet another "gadget" or afford to upgrade every time something new comes out.

I feel like the only one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not the only one. I have lots of rulers and gadgets and I almost always go back to my "old standby's". You are unique in the fact that you can SID. It's what I did for years because I didn't know how to do anything else. Do you realize how many people honestly can't do that? And I can usually do it without a ruler. It's a very traditional look that I like.

I do really love the CL boards. They are fast and awesome. I hate the fact that I have to unhook my computer system to use them and vice versa, but it's still worth it to me.

And I have a computerized system that I am beginning to really like, but to tell you the truth it sat on my machine for a year before I actually put it to use. I got busy and just didn't get around to playing with it. Once I did...it's a keeper.

You're not whining...you sound frustrated.

Robin no I am right with you on this one. I have some of the CL, losts of rulers, pantos and stencils and that's what I am going to have to stick with. I get the rulers and by the time they get here I have already forgotten what I am supposed to do with them. LOL I really don't think I have the patience to even try the computerized stuff and by the time I decide to it will be outdated. So glad I have company on this. I was kinda feeling left out.LOL

Nancy

No, you're not the only one! I don't have money for a computer, nor do I want one. I don't quilt for the general public, and I figure I did very well to be able to get the longarm. I have blissed it, and I'm getting the interchangeable feet. As far as all the tools and gadgets, I have many. I've actually used a few a few times. I don't buy gadgets any more, although there are a couple that I do want and still might buy. But they do make them look so easy and useful on their videos and demos. Then you get them and you don't really have a use for them or even know where or how to use them. I also have Renae's Rays and have even used them a few times. I have multitudes of SID rulers, don't like any of them and just use a plain little ruler that I had made for me for free. I have many circle sets, many gadgets to outline applique, have used a very few and really don't like them. It's ridiculous. I think I was hoping they would make me a better quilter. You are not alone, and I can relate all too well!!

Robin,

Don't feel bad, I don't have bliss or even M&M wheels and don't see myself being able to spend the $ on an IQ no matter how much I'd like one...Just like in any specialty, you have to find your niche, something you enjoy and are good at and then you get to be the best you can be at that. I have found mine to be hand guided custom quilting (unfortunately not the best paying as it is the most time consuming) but I enjoy it and work hard on it. If you enjoy using the rulers and tools, contact the people who sold them to you and ask for directions, you may also find them demonstrating them on Youtube. I would also buy about 10 yards of inexpensive muslin and just practice on that...you are not the only one, it just seems that way because we are so isolated in what we do...BUT, you do have us...

:)

It's hard to compete with "computerized" anything, but I'm still trying....the old fashioned way. But for All Overs, I rely on my Circle Lord or Pantos.

Every now and then, I do freehand allovers, and I do custom work mostly freehand, sometimes marking first. And I don't mind ditch stitching either.

I'm not saying I won't go computerized, I might, but financially it's not a priority right now.

Robin,

NO..you are not alone, I just got my studio finished and have the majority of my stuff out there, have not had a lot of time to practice, but am finding more time as time goes on. I purchased Hitomi's Circlelord, and am waiting on some stuff from Michael to do the installation, then I also hope I can figure out how to use it. I have watched the videos over and over hoping...I won't be investing in the computerized systems either. I have many tops that I have made throughout the years, had a bad experience with a longarmer in our area and vowed I would have a longarm and finish ALL my tops myself. I did go to the two classes and maintenance offered by APQS, but there were tooo many there to get much individual attention, so.. I did learn a lot about the machines and how you are supposed to do it, but very little practical or handson. I am planning on saving so I can attend quilt festival in Houston hopefully next year, don't think I can make it this year, but I keep hoping I can get to some classes at some point.

I tried a panto and decided that was not the way for me, so thought the boards would be the better way, I think I have figured out the step thing, will let you know about that. I have ordered some of Deloa's rulers, they should be here this week, will be watching her videos over and over.

You are NOT the only one!!

I don't know if it will help, but I try to get proficient as I can with all that I have or have upgraded to and then I have an arsenal of crafty weapons I can use to obtain quilting jobs and finish them to a high standard that will be acceptable and stimulating to my customers. I think of them as aids that either help me get more output while maintaining the quality I strive for to my customers or ways to get what they would like and really appreciate. The computer saves much time on repetitive all overs and digitizing gives me the ability to make tailor made patterns that turn on my customers. I often mix all templates, hand guided quilting, templates, and just about anything I can to make a heartfelt job that not only makes the customer happy but makes me beam with pride when they go, "Oh my goodness this is more that I expected and quite beautiful." I try to get as fast and yet keep the quality there with all my little goodies in my holster. The more I did the more I could save in my little side account to obtain my next wow-em device! It all takes time, The money I've saved in advertising justifies the new goodies I get to enhance what I do. Take your time, practice, do the best you can. Sometimes you may be a little longer and a little less on the dollar side but word of mouth in this business is very important!!! Hope this is helpful, just do the best you can and upgrade as you can, it will only make the quality that you do a little more enhanced and impressive!

Take Care, Grasshopper

Robin

Unless Dawn has gone ahead and upgraded recently as she said she was thinking about doing, She stated in an earlier post that she has had her machine like 20 years and it isnt even stitch regulated. You know what a wonderful quilter she is and I am sure she has mastered the old fashioned way, Lots of us are still in that mode and pretty happy with it. If it is classes that you are looking at doing and cant travel you might look into the Long Arm University page as they offer online classes alot and many here have learned alot from them. there are also lots of free video about how to do many things with rulers etc. I maybe shouldnt be promoting another forum but what the heck we all learn from each other and lots of us are on both forums. good luck to you and don't be afraid to use what you have. give yourself permission to take a staycation and just play with the toys you already have. My sister and I are planning that next month. We both have Lenni's and live too far apart to get together much. Usually we go somewhere and take classes. this year when I go to Vermont for my yearly visit we are just going to take practice time to ourselves and have an in house hands on practice class. We have decided all the classes really dont amount to much if you dont put in the time to practice, so that is what we plan on doing.

Even with the Bliss you are still doing it the old fashioned way, just easier. And when you get to be 62 and you do 3 - 4 Quilts in a day, having something free of resistance and moving smoothly is a wonderful upgrade. Arms and shoulders are no longer fatigued when standing or sitting at the front of your machine doing a custom quilt job that requires not only concentration but lots of hand movement. I thought long and hard about the Bliss and I am so glad I have it, for the sake of my body if nothing else. When you do pantgraphs it is not a big deal to have it or not. I sold most of my rulers and my quiltazoid and streamlined my operation confining to those tools I use most often. It is so easy to be taken away on this bandwagon as soon as someone tries something new and raves about it, we must have it too...i guess that is why I do not spend so much time on here anymore...my self restraint and will power to buy something new is non existent.

Whew! I feel so much better.

Dave-Jane you are right, and I feel the same as you. I want (and do) use a mixture of things but maybe I am impatient and things take longer than I think they should. I know better! Certainly what I have learned thus far has taken me all this time. :)

Snowflake, I sold my BEST CL board (the Fan-Clam) when I was going to sell my machine a while back and really regret it. Now I have the CL and the Aztec and that's it. Sold my FeatherZ (that was a good one too). I don't have the $$ to re-invest in it. I ended up keeping the machine because I was laid off my job and actually had to back out of the pending sale!

Thanks, Primitive1! I definitely do have you all.

I recently joined MQR and have started watching some of the videos on curved crosshatching. Have also watched lots of YouTube stuff.

Yep. It all just comes down to the old PPP. After all, the folks who demo all this stuff have done their share of practicing! :))

Jeanne, you're right, too. I need to give myself permission to have a stay-cation and buy that bolt of muslin and get to practicing. If only I didn't have 14 quilts sitting here. LOL. Yes, I'm frustrated but determined not to let all this hard earned money go to waste. I'm going to make it a goal to take one gadget at a time and set aside time to practice on it until I've got it. Maybe I'll even try to post pics here to show my progress and have some accountability!!

Anyway, thanks for getting me thru a rough hour or two. You guys are the best.

Personally, I did not buy a longarm so that a computer could do the quilting. If I were doing this to try to make a living, I might think about it. A computer generated image isn't the same as one that was painted by an artist. A computer quilted quilt might be more perfect, and it is certainly faster, but the hand guided takes a lot of skill.

As for rulers and gadgets, I don't buy them until I have a quilt that specifically needs that gadget or ruler. That way, I am sure I will use them. I have bought a couple "on impulse" and they sit there unused.

I did buy a BIG gadget....the Quiltazoid...and I use it nearly every quilt. I'd love to have Bliss, but will most likely wait a few years and upgrade to a new machine altogether. I'll have to think about that!

Lynn

Ya know... :) I just bought the IQ last fall. And, I use it "sometimes" but often, I love quilting my freehand designs. My IQ is another "choice" or "tool in the tool box" and I will continue to use it just like that.... An option. I am a huge fan of freehand designs. Many times I still freehand. I love it very much. And I am enjoying using the IQ sometimes, too.

And regarding the comment about "competing against a computer" well, heck! No competing when it comes to me! :( Nobody should be competing with another person or thing. It's supposed to be fun. Who cares what you're doing and how you are doing it. Just have fun.

And I didn't spend my life savings, either. I saved for 2 years and then I bought it. I bought it mostly because I wanted to buy it, not because I needed to or felt I had to have it. I only get to go around once in this life. And I don't have much of a life besides my creative quilting so it was well worth the investment to me.

My husband travels a lot and is away from home often. I have to say that my longarm machine has kept me from being very lonely. I love quilting and the time flies by when I am by myself quilting the day away....(or night)...

I also bought a digitizing software so I can learn to digitize my own designs. I am looking forward to doing that! :)

I just love quilting. Period. It doesn't matter how it's done...whether with a needle and thread in a hoop with my two hands, or by machine using my Bernina or my Longarm, or by computer. Hartley Fence, Quiltazoid, Circle Lord, Rulers, whatever... It's all about the creative fun of it all and.... Who cares how you do it as long as you are doing it and making beautiful things. :) And enjoying life.

It's just about quilting. :) And quilters (who happen to be the most generous, kindest, creative people in the world)

PS: I don't have the Bliss. Not sure if I will get it either. But I installed the M&M wheels before I got the IQ. I love those M&Ms. Mmmmm so smoooooooth!

Guest Linda S

Robin - how many classes have you taken? I started piecing and hand quilting back in the 80's. I progressed on to some freemotion with my DSM, but that got to be too painful, so I actually took out a home equity loan and purchased my longarm in 2004, thinking that in five years, I'd have it paid off (which is when I intended to retire). Nearly the minute I got my machine, I was planning to travel to shows and take classes to learn what I should be doing. Yes, it cost me money, but it was well worth it. I've learned to use every tool I've purchased well. I've made better and better quilts, gotten better and better about my quilting quality, and when I finally did decided to retire two years later than expected, I cashed in an annuity, sold my Circle Lord (which gave me a nice downpayment) and bought an Intelliquilter. Like Shana, it's a tool in my arsenal. I still freehand quilt and I still use some stencils, etc. I love quilting. I'm very fortunate to have been able to buy tools along the way, but I have invested in learning to use them. It's almost like getting another college degree. Now I am not only teaching quilting locally, but I'll be teaching at MQX again in the fall. Spread your wings and FLY, gal! You've gotta learn to use those things and explore all the possibilities there are when you're using them!

Trust me, you can't just buy a computerized system, put it on the machine, push a button, and watch it go! I took a bunch of classes in IQ at MQX last fall. If I had not taken those classes, I would not be able to use that machine as creatively as I can. I also still need to learn more so I can digitize and make my own designs. You have to learn to use your stuff.

Linda

Dear Robin,

I wanted to add one more word of encouragement for you...

The pantos, stencils, rulers and other tools I bought and did not use??? I sold them to someone else. I think they were sold within hours or days of listing them.

So, if you aren't using a tool and don't think you will, then sell it. Save the $$ for something else down the road.

PS: Two king size flat sheets at Wal Mart or K Mart are way cheaper than buying a bolt of muslin. Go get two flat sheets to do your PPP

It's all quilting however you do it. No one way is better than another. Some hand quilters think longarmers are cheating and some longarmers think computerization is cheating. I think you should do what makes you happy and not worry about what anyone else is doing. There is room for everyone.

Hi Robin,

I have a "hand guided" Liberty. I sometimes think I would like to add a computerized system to it, but then I consider the cost!!! Just now, it is too much money for me to spend.

I have an embroidery module for my sewing machine that I use sometimes (not often). One of the things that I don't like about embroidery is sitting there staring at the needle moving on its own. I usually sit there and play on my laptop or hand bind a quilt, or do something other than staring at the machine doing its own thing.

I have wondered how I would feel with a computerized longarm. If I was "into" digitizing and becoming proficient and creative in that end, I'm sure I would enjoy a computerized system. If I did lots of quilting and my body was aching, I'd enjoy it, too. I think having the option to use it on part of the quilt and freehand on other parts would be great.

But, for now I really like being completely interactive with my Liberty. Even pantos and pattern boards are enjoyable, and I especially love custom quilting. I like doing pantos/pattern boards on customer quilts and doing custom on my own quilts, where "anything goes" according to my mood.

You are not alone in having just a "plain old, hand-guided" longarm.

Shana: Are you able to use your M&M wheels with the IQ? Somewhere I read that you needed Edgerider wheels. Or, maybe that was for the CQ, not the IQ. I just bought M&M wheels, but haven't tried them yet.

i preferred to buy a second longarm than go blissed or computerized. i love quilting...and so do my kids. i am thankful for my QZ...gives me options, along with my rulers and pantos. I still prefer freehand to all of the gadgets. fortunately, I am in good shape. so, i can physically quilt for an extended time...if only i had the time to do so. kids and their medical/schooling has taken precedence.

Guest Linda S

LOL Kristina - that's a big reason why I got a computerized system. I'm NOT in such good shape any more. I do love quilting, especially since I got my M&M wheels, but I can only push my machine around for so long. As many of you know, I've had a three-level spinal fusion, and I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. It's not the years, it's the mileage!! :P

Archived