Thank You To All

I have been quilting with our Millie for over a year now. I have learned almost all that I know about long arm quilting from this forum. You all are amazing. The artistic talent collected here provides more inspiration than one can hope to emulate.

I just wanted to participate by sharing a quilt I just finished. Not close to a Sherry Rogers Lime Squeeze but then I am just a man. This was my first attempt at a full float top. Taking all of the information that I had gathered here and putting it to practice. What a joy! I will never pin another top.

The best of the Christmas Season to all.

[]2535192550099798652occfJS_th.jpg[/url][/img]

[http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2535192550099798652occfJS]

Hay Chuck:)

You are not just a man, you are a LAing man, & that makes you a rare breed of man in my opinion.;)

To TRUE, few will ever come close to what our Sherry can do, but Jamie Wallen is a guy & he can LA like nobodies business, you should se some of the stuff he can do, I had the pleasue of taking a class from in Sept. at Innovations. & I just loved him & his work.

I wish some times, my DH would take more intrest in the quilting craft, & that we/he could take part in descussions on patterns & ideas for piecing quilt-tops & the like.................

AH well, I can't stand watching football, or any of the other (many) sports programs he likes......not to sure if he likes it that way or not??;)

Thanks for showing us a pic, but can you go into your post (just click on the little blue "EDIT" box to the top right of you post) & resize it ( make it bigger), so we can see more detail.

I too like blue & yellow ( it's my fav.) quilts.

P.S. just had a look at your web-shots,& your quilt is lovley the colors, & the quilting are wonderful. great job.

Chuck,

Geraldine is right...if you can take a class from Jamie...he is awesome. Get yourself to one of the LAer shows ...MQX or MQS. Jamie teaches there and there are so many good classes. It is great fun.

Your quilt looks great!

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Hi Chuck!

The best part about this kind of work is that it speaks for itself...it doesn't matter what shape or form the quilter comes in! Your work is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

I had a peek at your webshots for this quilt. It looks really good. I was wondering what pattern you used in the border or if it was done freehand?

Lisa

Hi Chuck - Your quilting is really nice. I love the blue & yellow as well. Sherry has offered to show us a picture of her first quilt and I bet she has come a long way from that point to do what she does now. (Ok Sherry, when are you going to show it to us?) I'll be waiting to see some of your quilts in the future and I bet you we will see that same growth that comes from practice, practice, practice.. We are all in the same boat when it comes to fine tuning our skills and as we do that, we all have different styles that become our trademark. Anyway, I think your quilt is great. Keep up the good work.

gasp.....here is the quilt I referred to: I must preface by telling you this was done in 1995. Thank goodness it is still in my possesion!

Yes! The borders really are THAT bad! Not only was this the first quilt I custom quilted but it was one of the first quilts I ever pieced. Tis clear now why I never grew in the piecing catagory!

Originally posted by SherryRogers

Hi Chuck

You did great! The quilt is nice and flat and looks very sqaure as well! You chose a nice pattern for that quilt and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

Perhaps I should show you all a photo of my very first custom quilt! You will see that you ALL surpassed my very first attempts!!

if you can bear to look!

I quilted this following a stylis. Since I was only using a shortarm machine, I had to do 1/2 of the motif and then advance the quilt and connect the first 1/2 with the 2nd 1/2.

I believe I was trying to follow the quilting that was on the pattern. (yes, believe it or not there was a pattern for this ) I knew so little about the art of quilting that I stopped and started at each straight line instead of following the ditch to the next line. You will notice that most of the stitching has broken where I clipped the threads! !

Sherry,

Thank you so much for sharing your beginnings with us. They both look pretty darn good for being firsts. I would say you have improved a bit on those feathers! :D

I have the hardest time landing on the spine with my feathers. My feather shape is pretty good, but I seem to always over-shoot the spine when coming back in. I'm glad to see that there is hope for me with 10 more years of practice. ;)

Hugs, Joy

Sherry,

I have to tell you that you were awsome from the start. That quilt says to me "Have No Fear". It does give me hope that by the time I am standing at my machine with a walker I may be closer to the level of your work.

Some of the things that I have taken from you are, white board and marker, clear vinyl for design work, and sitting while quilting. I put the white board across the roles of the machine and practice till the vapor from the marker gives me a high. lol It has really helped me with smoother motion.

I was amazed how sitting also provides a better base to quilt from. I have a "three horn saddle" stool that I found at Relax the Back. It has sliders instead of castors and really has a good feel.

I have to tell you that your Lime Squeeze just takes my breath away. Very beautiful design and implementation. You are the best.

Thank you for you kind comments.

Chuck

Chuck - Thanks for sharing the photo - you did a great job of quilting - very

nice! Great designs.

Sherry - I always thought you were a brave lady - now to share those

photos - you are even more so in my eyes! You did good, but have

come a long way from there huh?......Still great for using a

shortarm, and now you have a much better machine too!

I was looking at your edge.... reminded me all about my class

with Darlene Zimmerman - she taught us how to make nice

borders, scallops and such, to get them even. What a very

sweet lady and so much fun too!

Archived