Thread Question

I just found out that a thread I had purchased a little bit of (and it doesn't work on my system) was made in People's Repub of China. It consistently snapped and broke, no matter how I messed with tension, etc.

How do we know where our longarm machine thread is made and does it make a difference? I can't always see on the label of any thread cone where it's made, nor do I see where the manufacturers list that information on their websites.

Laura, I think you should ask the place where you bought it, if you can get a refund as it's not good, though you tried to make it work.

You "should" be able to contact the email addy, or "contact us" button that is usually on each site you want to buy thread from in the future, and ask where it is made.

I can't ever remember seeing a thread from China. Seems they are all made East of the USA. I just don't know. Who would we contact about thread types and maker?

Hoping there is such a site.

Wishing I could help more.

RitaR

I'm in contact with Superior as it's their Omni thread. I love Superior threads but this one just wouldn't work and then I found out it was made in the PRC.

My question though is more about how do we know, or find out where our long-arm thread is made? I've emailed the manufacturers of the threads I use the most (if I don't know where the thread is made) and am asking. I would really like it if this information was more "public." Also wondering if where it is made is an issue with other quilters?

I think most of the manufactured goods we buy are made overseas. Just the way it is. Fabric included.

That said, it doesn't mean it is inferior product. Because quality products are made overseas. Like anything, I think you just have to know what you're buying. Many times you can get a refund and return the item. Check on returning for refund.

Originally posted by LauraJ

I'm in contact with Superior as it's their Omni thread. I love Superior threads but this one just wouldn't work and then I found out it was made in the PRC.

My question though is more about how do we know, or find out where our long-arm thread is made? I've emailed the manufacturers of the threads I use the most (if I don't know where the thread is made) and am asking. I would really like it if this information was more "public." Also wondering if where it is made is an issue with other quilters?

I am all for local and organic, but when I started my longarm business I found that even my 'organic' friends wanted batting that was less expensive, regardless of the source or content! I use Superior Threads products, because to me I like the values the company conveys and the quality of the product, and even though the product is not made in the USA, the company is a small business that has invested heavily in meeting the needs of longarmers, regardless of our location on the earth.

I recently got a collection of fabric from one of the top fabric houses, I was shocked to see that on about a 1/3 of the bolts in the collection it said the bolt was manufactured in Pakistan, gave me the :o:o:o at first. But got to thinking about it and realized that US companies really don't have much of a choice currently if they want to produce a product that is affordable for the consumer to purchase. Plus even though a product is manufactured in another country about every other aspect from developing, designing, marketing and sales of a product is done in the USA, employeeing 100's if not 1000's of US workers. Now when I go into a Fabric store I find myself looking at the bolts just to see where they were manufactured it is very surprising and interesting to find places in every corner of the world. But no matter what country it says, if I like it and love the feel I'm going to buy it no matter where it was manufactured, cuz if we stop buying due to where it was made 1000's of US workers would be jobless and we certainally wouldn't have all the fabric and design choices we all enjoy today. For me visiting a fabric store has become not only fun it's educational too.

Terry

Laura,

Contact Superior and let them know about the Omni not working for you. They like to know these things---I have several cones of it, and so far it's worked well for me. I love the colors. However, I didn't pay attention to where it was made---but, I'm not surprised as so many things are made overseas anymore.

I did find out from Bob that it is a Japanese manufacturer that is having the thread made in China. He assures me they are on top of their thread quality. I truly LOVE Superior products and their commitment to us quilters, just wish Omni was made in Japan instead.

Laura - I did the owl quilt with Omni - bought one cone just to try. It was great running in my machine but I found it was very different in texture - almost a rough feel. Had to loosen the top tension quite a bit and had to be more careful when pulling the threads for tying & burying at my starts and stops - tended to break if I wan't careful. I feel that is due to the texture of the thread. Though I think it is a nice thread - I won't be stocking up on it - will stick with my SewFine, Lava, Issacord, Glide, etc.

Archived