Have you ever "re-quilted" a quilt?

o.k. I have been thinking about this for a long time now.......

before my machine moved into my house and became "MY"

machine, I had my Thimbleberries Pansy Park quilt done by

somebody else. She talked me into an overall meander just

"Because the pieceing was so busy, we wouldn't want to

take away from it...."

Hmmm..... It has 12 big blocks that took a long time to piece!

Anyhow - I HATE it everytime I look at that quilt!! It should

have CUSTOM quilting!!

So, I want to rip out all of that quilting and load in on and do

it right!! Now, yes , it is bound and all done.... so... do you

think I should just rip out a section on the top, load with my

zippers.... do that.... take off.... rip some more.. load and

quilt a bit.... you get what I am saying.

I just don't know how well it would work if I ripped out the

whole thing and then went from there. I might have to baste

on some muslin to my binding too, there are corner blocks

set into the borders....

I put a lot of time, money and energy into that quilt, and I

don't even like to display it or look at the way it is!!:(

p.s. not to mention I do have a couple of my first practice

quilts I would like to re-do as well.....:D

I just frogged an entire quilt that was meandered by a home machine. It took a great deal of time but I did get it done without damaging the quilt top or backing. I pressed with alittle steam and all the little holes closed right up. Then I loaded and re-quilted it. I did this for a special customer. It's not something I would do for just anyone.

I would suggest you take your time and do the same. I frog from the back throughout most the quilt. Frog a thread every 4 to 5 inches. This is the faster way. Once in a while you will get a tight thread that requires some tweeking. If you do cut the backing that is easy and affordable to replace. The fabric can be used in another project cut up.

If I didn't like it and I loved the top and thought more could be done I would completely frog and redo the quilt. Keep it next to your recliner or bed and just do a little at a time when you on breaks. Good luck. In the end you will have something you love and can say you quilted.

Hi, Judi!

I can totally understand why you are disappointed with the overall meander quilting on your Thimbleberries Pansy Park quilt.

I've seen many photos of custom quilting done on various Thimbleberries quilt patterns, and I agree that many of these TB patterns all really scream "custom" for their blocks. It just makes the quilt so awesome and beautiful, you know?? I have the entire original fabric kit for the Thimbleberries Pansy Park (I still haven't pieced it) but some day I will do it and when I get really good with my LA skills, I want to custom quilt it myself too. Some day... but that's a far away some day for me! ;)

Just curious, were you planning on just frogging the inside top area and keeping the binding on all around? That might work, but I've not done that before with the binding still intact. Sounds like Grammie took all three layers apart and requilted it. It's a lot of work, but it sounds like that's what you want to do. Best wishes and happy frogging & re-quilting! :)

Shana

Yes, Judi, I too have frogged several quilts for one reason or another, usually quilting done by myself and not liking it but a few from customers that had the quilts done by someone else and just didn't like the quilting that they were talked into. Also like Grammie, its for special people that I do this for....not just anyone.

The most special quilt was a two sided quilt completely different quilts on each side....well the quilter didn't as her which one she wanted for the top quilt because they really were two different patterns...she didn't like it and I frogged it and redid it. Thank God she hadn't trimmed the quilts yet or we would have had a bit of trouble.

If your unhappy, by all means do it....if its been trimmed you may have to replace the back, but thats easy, and the other back can be used for a smaller quilt down the line so no real waste. I frog like Grammie so it does go faster than you would expect....Good luck.

I would like to leave the binding "as is" and use the same backing. It is the

Pansy Park stuff - I do like it, and not sure if I would be able to get anymore

since this is from a couple of years ago.

Shana - You should really start pieceing that baby! There are SO many tiny

little pieces to it!! It was fun - we did it as a monthly class -

doing 2 blocks a month.

I frogged a king sized stack n whack quilt but it hadn't been trimmed. Removed all the quilting and repressed the top with steam. All the holes disappeared and it's been requilted. Turned out beautiful the second. Cannot blame anyone else but myself -- it was one of my first quilts on the LA. Good lesson.

Not sure how your idea would work with leaving the binding on and requilting all layers.

Best of luck -- just do a little at a time and you'll get it done. Let us know how it turns out.

Judi if it were mine I would just bite the bullet and frog the entire quilt and then once the frogging is done remove the binding............this will keep the edges from fraying while you frog.

I just think that you will end up with a better job if you can lay it all out nice and flat again. As for the backing you love..................I would just say to use it on a smaller quilt as already suggested.

I guess you could do a block at a time without a problem. I have quilted two quilts that had bindings on them and it is a pain to work that close to the binding.....................next time I do that I will sew some muslin or junk fabric on those so I can have something to work with to get close to the edges....................I had to turn the second of the quilts with binding and did not charge my customer to do that as she is a very good friend.

I had a "tied" quilt already finished that we snipped all the ties and pinned on the rollers to quilt with stars & loops from LEQ. I left the binding on and don't remember having any problems other than pinning with the binding. It was for my niece and she loved that I would quilt it all over with my new machine, that was 3 years ago.

When I first got my Mel, for practice, I requilted a king size bear paw quilt that had only been SID'd...had no problem except the pinning on through the binding. It sure looks better now too.

I'd be frogging too, if I had put so much into it and wasn't happy with it. If you're like me, you'll be glad you did.:)

After reading this discussion I think I will find some time to do some frogging on the first quit I did for myself on my longarm. I used a different thread on some parts and after I tool it off the machine there were big loops on the back............I had not really learned much about tenison at that point. I think that with those big loops it sould be easy to frog and I can do a better job with those long flowing feathers this time.

The quilt is my spread in my travel trailor so maybe I should just frog next time we go on a trip. Onlly about 1/3 of the quilt needs to be frogged so I will not remove the binding ...............the part that needs frogging has feathers going across so it should go pretty fast to requilt that part.

Thanks for this discussion and the inspiration to do it again but better this time!

Hi Judy,

I'm happy you asked this question - until now I thought I was the only crazy person to undo a completed quilt, and the many answers show it's not as uncommon as I supposed.

When I first went to try out a longarm machine, I was asked to bring a quilt top with me.

Then I was talked into making a boring panto on it, ("freehand is much too difficult, nothing for beginners"), and I was as unhappy as could be with the result.

So after ordering my machine, I undid the whole quilting. I was afraid the holes wouldn't disappear, cause it was hand-dyed batik, but I thoroughly sprayed the top with water and kept in a plastic bag for a day or so, then pressed, and the holes were gone.

When my machine arrived, after my first practice piece, I put it on the machine and went for it.

Today, scant 18 months later, I would probably quilt some details differently, but still it is one of my absolute favorite quilts, and it will always the very first quilt I made on my machine!

Especially if you put so much effort in the piecing, it would be a real pity to keep an unsatisfying quilting.

So good luck to you, and show us a picture once you've finished!

Happy holidays to all from Germany, with a picture of my requilted quilt ;)

Marie-Christine

Wow, You have all been so inspirational on the art of frogging. It sounds so tortous and time consuming. I guess I might be inclined to leave it along and go on to the next quilt but I know there is satisfaction in doing it right. Another good use for a quilt that aI might be less than happy with is to donate it to a worthy cause. The receiver might not even notice what we thought was a huge blunder. Cheryll

Hi,

donating the quilt certainly is a good solution, at least when I'm making the quilt for training and experimental purposes. It certainly does happen, now and then, that the quilting result is not quite what I had expected it to be, but without trying, no gain of experience.

But when I'm making a special quilt for myself, I would undo and quilt again.

When I compare Judy's unease and mine, I would say that it's not the quilting as such that is the problem - the meandering or panto might as well be ok - I guess it's rather that the IDEA of what the quilt could look like that strives for fulfilment (and having been talked into things I wasn't convinced of...)

Happy quilting,

Marie-Christine

Rip it out. Pansy Park happens to be a favorite pattern to me and it takes a LONG TIME to piece all those little pieces just right! It needs custom, but post pictures when its done so I can get some ideas. By the way, I would take off the binding too, usually the binding pulls in the borders just a little bit and if you want to do something in the border (it is a very busy border!) I think you would be happier.

Cher

Thank-you for all of your advice!! I WILL re-quilt it! I love the quilt too, but

like Marie-Christine said - I think what bothers me most, IS that I was

talked into quilted it a way I didn't want it...... I hope I never do that to a

customer of mine!

This project will have to wait until a few others get done, but I will make a

new post and show you when I do it. I will take some "before and afters"

that would be good to show to my customers too!

I quess I will take off the binding.....:( I was hoping not to, but I really think

that it could cause more problems than its worth. I might as well put in a

better batting too, as long as I am doing it. I don't like the stiff feel of the

hobbs 80/20 when it has lots of quilting ...... and I am going to play! OH MY!

Yes I am!! I am off to the bedroom now to dig it out (from its hiding place)

and hang it in the spot where I put things I want to look at for a bit....

while I am quilting something else, I also like to think about the next

project. Need to figure-out some areas. I know what I am going to do

around the tree / fence border and thats it so far. I think I can trim the outside

border a bit and use the same backing, but I will have go and look at it again,

it has been awhile!! lol! I do love to SID so I will do a bunch of that in the blocks, if

anybody else has quilted one of these babies and has some

great ideas - please let

me know!

Archived