Lighting System for Mother's Day! More detailed photos added by DS!!

My husband and my son installed a fabulous lighting system to put over Millie's table. It has soft light for choosing thread colors and then a bright set of LED lights for quilting! It is truly awesome!

I will see if I can add a photo for your viewing pleasure.

post--13461908546646_thumb.jpg

Yes Linda, they made it for me. The PVC piping is temporary and will later be replaced with aluminum bars. They just wanted the side bars to be adjustable until we see where they really need to be. I'm short so the upper bar is fairly low and isn't at all in my view while quilting. The upper bar is an aluminum channel and contains 16 LED lights. 1/2 are low light and the other 1/2 are bright. I can have one or the other on at a time, or both at the same time. The whole thing puts out only 40 watts! It doesn't even get hot! It's really incredible!

Vickie-Yes, they are very talented! And they love to work together!

Sylvia-I do have a lot of studio space and I love it! It was just too dark in there!

Bonnie-Yes, I am VERY lucky and VERY blessed!!!

Marilyn-Tell your hubby the biggest issue was probably the 12' Aluminum channel. I had to drive about an hour to go pick it up at a metal shop. It cost around $100, but if we had it shipped, the freight shipping alone would have been around $160 PLUS the cost of the channel! He might want to check into that first. They used aluminum because it was lighter in weight.

The whole thing is completely mobile, so if I ever move, it comes with me! :-)

Kathy, I like your new lights. I was noticing your curly power cord...do you like it? I have an overhead system my husband fixed but sometimes experience some resistance due to drag on the cord. Do you notice any drag from your power cord when quilting across the length of your frame?

I used to quilt for a shop....she had a Gammil with a "curly" power cord. I never felt resistance while quilting. But when I stopped for whatever reason, and didn't have the needle down, (and the cord was stretched), the machine would creep along, the coil tightening up. It was annoying sometimes, until I became accustomed to it.

I am impressed with your lights too, Kathy. Kudos to your husband and son!

The strings are the wires going between each light, the actual lights are the small circles. In fact each light is only about 1mm in diameter, and is mounted to those circles which are about 3/4" in diameter.

For those that are curious, the LEDs are made by Cree, and are 3watt warm white in color for the soft light, and 3watt cool white in color for the bright, crisp light. They were sourced from RapidLED which is actually a fish tank light store. :)

Debbie-I do get some drag from the curly cord. If you look closely, I have a metal bar attached to the back of my Millie and the cord is attached to that bar so that it is drawn away from the back of the carriage. That has helped alot. But as Carol said, if the machine is left in the needle up position, I sometimes find the machine pulling away towards the cord.

The next step, my husband said, is to build a channel for the cords to go in. He said sort of like a printer as its printing. Now that I have my lights, I'm a happy girl and I can wait for the cords to behave properly!

Thanks son for explaining all the techie stuff!

Thank you Chrisee and everyone!

;)

Archived