Feeling really stupid and frustrated.....please help....

...but don't laugh, ok? I have yet to make a single stitch in my Lucey and I have had her for a whole week!!! The reason? I cannot for the life of me get my practice piece loaded!! Am I totally inept, or what? I've watched umpteen UTube videos, read, re-read, and read again the instructions in the manual, got irritated, said some bad words, and still nothing has gotten the concept into my thick head! Every time I think I've got it on, something is wrong. Am I the only person in the whole world that has trouble with a simple task as loading a quilt on a longarm?? I've been a handquilter for a dozen years and I'm beginning to think it's a bit faster!

I had to try several times too,..then I re-watched the video of Dawn loading and I watched it several more times pausing after each section to go and actually load that part, went back and watched more, then went to do the next part. I got the video with my machine, I assume there is a video with all machines, don't give up, you will make it!

Guest Linda S

Elaine - don't feel badly. We all had to start somewhere. Did a DVD come with your machine? Way back in 2004 when I got my Liberty, I think there was a DVD with it that had Dawn loading a quilt and showing how it was done. Get your leader from your take-up roller (in the throat of your machine), and pull it under the leveler bar (also in the throat of your machine). Pin the top of your backing to that. The roller that will touch your tummy first if you lean into the front of the machine is the backing roller. Pin the bottom of your backing to that. You can pin the bottom of your top fabric to the leader on the roller above that. Once you have the fabrics on, smoothed, and rolled up, get your backing started towards the takeup roller so you have a nice flat surface. Put your batting in between the backing and the top roller and smooth it across the backing, just about an inch down from the top of the backing. Baste it straight across the top of the batting (does Lucey have a channel lock? -- if so, that will give you a nice straight line). Once you have the batting basted down, pull your top fabric up to that basting line, smooth it down, pin it if you like, and then baste it to the batting and backing. You're then good to go!

Thanks! I did get the DVD and I have practically memorized it, but it is confuling to me. I have the backing pinned to the take up roller and am now pinning to the backing roller, but am unsure if I go over or under the top roller. It seems wrong whichever way I do it.

Elaine, no, of course you're not inept. You've just acquired a very large piece of machinery...it takes time to figure all this stuff out and we've all been where you are right now. The important thing is not to give up. So Beverly and Linda give some really good advice. I too watched the DVD that came with my machine and would pause the video, run to my machine and do the first step, run back to restart the video, and so on. Trust me when I say that you can do this. Relax, take a breather, indulge in your favorite chocolate treat then show Lucey what you're made of. :).

You should have seen me the first time I tried using a ruler! :P. It wasn't pretty...let me tell you! Hang in there and know that we're all here for you. You'll soon be happily stitching along.

When you pn your backer to the bottom roller in front make sure you go UNDER the top roller. Then after it is on the leader, take the roller and turn it towards you. The fabric should go between the top and bottom roller, under the bottom roller and back through the two rollers. After you get the backer on, then put your top fabric on the top roller in front. Then grab the roller and turn it away from you. When you do that it will come from under the roller and up, over the top and then down between the two rollers in front. If you have the fabric on correctly the top comes under the top roller and the backer goes over the bottom roller.

Thinking in terms of bathroom tissue on the roller the top fabric is the over and the bottom fabric is the under way to put on the paper.

Hope this helps....and don't get too frustrated we have all been there and can remember what it was like. Post again if you need clarification again!!

Happy Quilting!!!

I am a newbie too and ouI think I know what you are trying to say ,the backing (pinned on the bar closest to you )will roll off the top of the bar ,which will then roll under the next bar ,u-tube has a clip of the man quilter loading a lucy ,thats how I finally got it ,......I took my laptop downstairs with me and watched each step and loaded it while watching so I could hit pause each step

a couple things helped me at first, put sticky notes on the end of the poles showing which way the quilt/backing is supposed to come off the bar (draw arrows). 2nd I was taught to pin from the leader side on all bars, pin in to leader side through quilt back up to leader side. This kinda helps me remember which way each should go. And don't forget to go under the leveler bar to the take-up bar if you have one (I've done that a couple times and finally wrote a little note on my leader to remind myself)?!

Oops, the top is on upside down, but I am fixing it. Then I think it'll be ok. I went to the website you suggested, the manquilter, but my sound wasn't working. I'll try again in a few minutes if this doesn't work. Surely just flippin' the dang thing over will work!

Elaine just put your quilt top on your table on top of the backer, right side up and bottom closest to you. Maybe take some digital pics of your table and how you get it on there right. Then you can refer to them as needed.

This is what I did to help me remember. I numbered my rollers on the ends looking at them from the front of the machine:

#1 - backing bottom (bar against your 'Belly')

#2 - Quilt top bottom

#3 - Leveler (no leaders on it, lays on top of the three layers of the quilt sandwich to keep it level to machine)

#4 - top of backing, then batting, then quilt top

Now, from the front of the machine, looking at the rollers:

I attach my backing bottom first to #1 (the bar closest to my belly), bring the top of my backing under #2 and #3 bars and attach it to the #4 bar.

Then I lay my batting on my backing, and bring under bars #3 and #2, smooth out and then baste it to the backing.

Finally I lay my top out the same way as I did my batting and baste it to the back and batting sandwich (I float my quilt top, meaning I do not attach the bottom of it to the #2 bar. If you do attach yours to the #2 bar you would do that and then attach the top of it to the #4 bar.

Tighten it up so you can still lightly see your machine moving underneath the sandwich, and you are ready to go.

(And don't fret if you struggle, like the others are saying - it will come. Some days we all mess up, in fact, the quilt I have on right now I loaded all three layers OVER my leveler bar and didn't catch it until I went to tighten the sandwich up..... we all have days!:D:o:D

Archived