Pricing Issues

Went to a quilt show today, and when I got home I found a brochure for one of the booths in my bag. Inside the brochure was their quilting prices. There's no way I can compete with these prices. Can any of you? It did not say whether it was freehand or computerized, but either way, these prices are LOW. :(

post--13461908652792_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Antoinette

But please don't show it around too much. We might all be in trouble

Don't worry! Two of my customers (they're my friends, too) were with me and luckily they didn't buy anything at that booth to get this brochure. Not gonna show it to anyone around here that's for sure!

Please remember--

Edge to edge will be realllly big on these tops. Loading a small quilt and veering over it with a big old meander might take an hour. That computes to 6 bucks an hour. If someone is willing to quilt for 6 bucks an hour--have at it.

If someone wants to apply binding for 5 bucks an hour--have at it.

If they want to hand sew it down for 4 bucks an hour--have at it.

The quality will be OK and the hand sewing marginal, but the customer will get a finished quilt for a bargain.

But the quilter will be overwhelmed quickly and eventually either burn out or raise their prices.

And that's the truth!!

Stick to your niche. It isn't 6 bucks an hour quilting.

This quilter will get the big ones, the easy ones and the old UFOs.

You will get the precious ones and the pretty ones. And charge accordingly, please!

Years ago I heard of a lady who charged something like $50 to quilt a large quilt (not sure exactly what size). I also heard that she was a lonely person and really only wanted to cover her thread costs so she had something to do. She did large all overs - probably a meander. But I also remember people saying the quilting was of very good quality. I never saw anything she did but I always remember the old adage, "you get what you pay for!"

OMG - I just finished a 115" x 115". There is NO way I would have done that for $55.00. And it was a simple E2E panto. Customer asks for my most inexpensive designs (she has kids in college) but NO meandering. She doesn't care if it's a panto or freehand but still not going to do them for that price. WOW

Some good advice I received before going into business years ago applies here: It is better to charge a fair price up front than discount in the beginning to gain customers and then raise your prices. Since you did it "cheap" before that must be what you are worth! Stick to your prices, Ladies! If something is usually too good to be true; then it usually is. You get what you pay for!

I have to agree with what everyone has said. After close to a year of only quilting for myself and PPP I started out at a medium price when I was brave enough for customers. Medium for my area. I quickly learned that I was not going to quilt for others for minimum wage. I raised my prices. I gained more customers. The next year, I raised my prices again to where they are currently which is on the high side for my area. I gained more customers. I know I am preaching to the choir here...but if you value your work others will value it also.

Yes, I have had a few random calls for pricing and when I tell them what their king size quilt will cost for a very basic allover they never call back. That's ok. In the beginning, I had a hard time not trying to price to please everyone.

I am content with charging what I think I am worth and am usually booked out 3-4 months.

Thanks to all you good people here and all your advice, I have no qualms when a potential customer tells me I am too expensive. I have a list of 3-4 other quilters I suggest they try...one of which only does large meander.

I am thinking about raising my prices in 2013, but have not decided how I want to accomplish this.

One idea is to change the price of my pantos to increase their per square inch cost. Eg, I may raise a currently 2 cent per sq inch panto to 2 1/4 per sq inch. I would do the same for custom...my lowest is now 3 cents and I would continue offering something (but less quilting than I am currently doing) for 3 cents, or to say it in another way, what I am now doing for 3 cents would cost 3.5 cents in 2013.

What are your thoughts on this strategy?

Also, I currently do not charge for thread, and I plan to add a charge per bobbin in 2013.

Sandra,

First of all, I'd check and make sure that you are charging at least what others are charging, if not, I'd raise the prices to at least be competetive, if you already are competetive, then I would raise your prices at whatever level you feel comfortable with.

Archived