NQR - Sorta - New Berninas announced!

Bernina just announced their new 7 series! I've been waiting for this all spring ... I have an old old 830 which I love, but I want a touch screen SEWING machine, w/o the embroidery stuff - already got that, thank you. And this new 7 series appears to have two that might fit my bill, the 710 and the 750QE ... but since I have this big ol' quilting machine, I'm thinking that the 710 might be the one for me. They'll be out in September ... time to save me $$$$.

Go to http://news.investors.com/newsfeed/article/141345038/201207090930/bernina-introduces-its-new-7-series-line-with-patent-pending-bernina-9-hook-technology.aspx

to read all about them. Love those Berninas!

Looks interesting. I like the idea of the integrated feed foot. I hope that they have done a better job than some of their recent releases!

A few months ago I bought a 730 on the basis that it is older technology and I wouldn't have some of the issues that the newer models seem to have had. I love my 170 which I have had for a long time but the new one is a pain in the neck! It constantly breaks threads, skips stitches and makes weird noises. For some reason Bernina calibrate their machines using 100wt 2ply polyester thread. The tension is set way too high. I have spent a lot of time playing with the tension but haven't found the sweet spot yet. It has been making regular visits to the dealer and will be headed there again this week.

Sue, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your 730. I have had one for 6 years and absolutely love it! Haven't had a problem with it and I have stitched will over 14 million stitches on it so far and it's still running like a charm! And I use lots of different threads with no issues at all. Sure hope the dealer gets it straightened out for you quickly.

I'm eager to check out these new models, especially the 780e. :D My dealer "hinted" to me a few months ago that there would be the next generation 730 coming soon. Sounds mighty interesting... ;):)

I don't know about the newest hoop size but my new 640E uses up to the mega hoop and that is 17 x 6.5 Way more that 5x7!!! I love it so far. I've used several different threads with no problems. I have a 180E too and that has been trouble free for about 10 years. I got the 640 strictly for the bigger hoop and the faster embroidery!!!

Loving my Berninas!!!

So sorry you have had issues with your Berninas. I'm surprised they use 100wt thread. I think my tech uses 50 wt Mettler. I'll be sure and ask. If you are having issues with thread breaking, there may be a burr somewhere. The tech should be able to find it.

My next Bernina is the 830LE because of the jumbo hoop. I have a Millie, so I don't use any of them for quilting (maybe a table runner). But, I do like to embroider.

The new 7 series looks interesting. And the B9 hook with the larger bobbin. Very interesting.

I really love my 200e. Never gives me any trouble. It was purchased used back in 2005. I would really like the dual feed though, otherwise the 200 has everything i like. Guess I'll check these out. The price will probably keep me from purchasing. Maybe someday. I do love a Bernina!

Originally posted by Pam.Nagle

So sorry you have had issues with your Berninas. I'm surprised they use 100wt thread. I think my tech uses 50 wt Mettler. I'll be sure and ask. If you are having issues with thread breaking, there may be a burr somewhere. The tech should be able to find it.

My next Bernina is the 830LE because of the jumbo hoop. I have a Millie, so I don't use any of them for quilting (maybe a table runner). But, I do like to embroider.

The new 7 series looks interesting. And the B9 hook with the larger bobbin. Very interesting.

The 100wt thread was used during the calibration at the factory. I checked the manual for my old machine and was surprised to find that even a dozen years ago Bernina was using 100wt polyester thread to calibrate back then too. The machine has been checked for burrs and the hook was replaced. I hope that this visit to the dealer will be more successful!

hi sylvia -

i, too, am a bernina girl. i have a 153 and 440. love em both. would never trade either for all the tea in china. nothing sews like a bernina...

however, i would be leery of buying a first year machine from any company. there may be many kinks to work out.

since you have plenty of machines to sew on...may i suggest waiting a year or so? just to see?

think of how excited you will be when the year is up?

it will be like waiting for a baby to arrive.

i'm not trying to rain on your parade, but i wanted to offer MHO.

and if you don't take my advice..be sure to post your experience!

good luck deciding.

Archived